NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  11/18/18 12:26 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Brackets and Predictions - [74 Replies | 5329 Views]
MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Brackets and Predictions

Prelims posted

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/SoccerPrelim_1030am.pdf

JoanneT
a.k.a.
Joanne Timmons

Posts 194
Registered 5/14/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
4A East has some very good games. Predictions

Laney - Ashley = Ashely squeaks one out
PC - Corinth Holders = PC has too much

Athens Drive - Knightdale = Athens Drive still playing well
Sanderson - Millbrook = Millbrook should get the win

Broughton - Wakefield = Broughton has too much offense
Apex - Wake Forest = Apex in an upset

Enloe - Riverside = Upset number 2 as Riverside will take it
Cary - Leesville = Leesville could go far

MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Brackets are finalized

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/2018MensSoccer_FinalBrackets.pdf

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I MECK conference tournament for rounds 1 and 2 with the winner of Mooresville and LKN playing to take on Hough.
MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by csc8180

I MECK conference tournament for rounds 1 and 2 with the winner of Mooresville and LKN playing to take on Hough.

I know we say it every year, but it seems like the east is a gauntlet, teams in the west below .500 and low rankings.

Jordan seems to have a blessing being sent to the west

coach allred
a.k.a.
jason allred

Posts 8
Registered 3/11/09
Greensboro

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by MyOpinion

Quote:

I know we say it every year, but it seems like the east is a gauntlet, teams in the west below .500 and low rankings.

3 teams in the west below .500
4 teams in the east below .500

MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by coach allred

Quote:

Quote:

That is my fault, you are correct. But 3 of those teams were above .500 before they hit their conference which was strong.

Its just a little different for Cary and Riverside who are playing Green Hope, PC, Athens, and Jordan twice. Who finished 1,4, 12 and 13 in the state. Imagine if they were in a conference with NW Guilford, Grimsley, Page, and Ragsdale.

The guys i know in greensboro talk about how poor the level is.

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is my fault, you are correct. But 3 of those teams were above .500 before they hit their conference which was strong.

Its just a little different for Cary and Riverside who are playing Green Hope, PC, Athens, and Jordan twice. Who finished 1,4, 12 and 13 in the state. Imagine if they were in a conference with NW Guilford, Grimsley, Page, and Ragsdale.

But a 6 loss team from the west just came over and lost to the 2 seed from the east in a game that was 2-0. After a nearly 4 hour bus ride. Maybe the rankings are just somehow skewed toward the east a little? I am sure that cannot be the case can it? When the teams from the east start out all of their strength of schedules are ridiculous before conference play. Teams from the west that play other good teams from the west do not get the same love from the rankings. Take a team like hough since i used them above.

They lost to #6 MP, 3A #8 Asheville, #25 AK, #23 South Meck, #41 mooresville, #2 Cardinal Gibbons. They finish at #20 in 4A..........

In the east:

Jordan also a 6 loss team:

Chapel hill #7 3a, Heritage #5, Athens #12, Panther creek X2 #12, GH #1. So yes they lost to higher ranked teams but is this difference really 14 spots in the rankings?

The east has 14 of the top 20 teams in the rankings.....That is crazy. The teams from the east hardly ever come play a team from the west on the road. Especially the top teams. Gibbons did go to Gboro to play 37 page. The one chance a team from the west even gets to play a team from the east is during the coaches invitational at Wake Med. And that is always a road game or 2 after a 3 to 4 hour drive while staying in a hotel.

Why are the teams from the east automatically put on a pedestal in the rankings? They all start out higher than the west teams in strength from day 1.

You cannot really rank the 2 regions together as a whole when they do not have common opponents. That is a flaw in the system.

Right now the most recent gauge we have is that the #2 team who is from the east beat the # 20 team who is from the west 2-0.

Also the East will ALWAYS get more playoff bids due to the fact that they kept their conferences smaller and due to the rankings have manages to buy themselves 4 more AUTOBIDS than the West. 8 conferences vs 6. 4 more TOTAL teams and 4 more AUTOBIDS for the East. SO that is like 4 free bids.

So there will always be teams moving west from the east due to this. There are also multiple Split conferences in the East vs 1 in the west. Which gives those teams a better chance of qualifying than a possibly more deserving team from the West.

[Edited on 10/31/18 by csc8180]

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
And do not get me wrong. I fully expect Jordan to make some noise in the West. They should win their first two matchups in my opinion but the road will get harder when they have to play South Meck/AK/Providence/Porter Ridge teams that traditionally make pretty good runs.
MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But a 6 loss team from the west just came over and lost to the 2 seed from the east in a game that was 2-0. After a nearly 4 hour bus ride. Maybe the rankings are just somehow skewed toward the east a little? I am sure that cannot be the case can it? When the teams from the east start out all of their strength of schedules are ridiculous before conference play. Teams from the west that play other good teams from the west do not get the same love from the rankings. Take a team like hough since i used them above.

They lost to #6 MP, 3A #8 Asheville, #25 AK, #23 South Meck, #41 mooresville, #2 Cardinal Gibbons. They finish at #20 in 4A..........

In the east:

Chapel hill #7 3a, Heritage #5, Athens #12, Panther creek X2 #12, GH #1. So yes they lost to higher ranked teams but is this difference really 14 spots in the rankings?

The east has 14 of the top 20 teams in the rankings.....That is crazy. The teams from the east hardly ever come play a team from the west on the road. Especially the top teams. Gibbons did go to Gboro to play 37 page. The one chance a team from the west even gets to play a team from the east is during the coaches invitational at Wake Med. And that is always a road game or 2 after a 3 to 4 hour drive while staying in a hotel.

Why are the teams from the east automatically put on a pedestal in the rankings? They all start out higher than the west teams in strength from day 1.

You cannot really rank the 2 regions together as a whole when they do not have common opponents. That is a flaw in the system.

Right now the most recent gauge we have is that the #2 team who is from the east beat the # 20 team who is from the west 2-0.

Also the East will ALWAYS get more playoff bids due to the fact that they kept their conferences smaller and due to the rankings have manages to buy themselves 4 more AUTOBIDS than the West. 8 conferences vs 6. 4 more TOTAL teams and 4 more AUTOBIDS for the East. SO that is like 4 free bids.

So there will always be teams moving west from the east due to this. There are also multiple Split conferences in the East vs 1 in the west. Which gives those teams a better chance of qualifying than a possibly more deserving team from the West.

The difference is who did Hough beat?

And yes, the central schools are skewed in the rankings because of the high population of 4A schools in the triangle. Most of their nonconference is playing other 4A teams in the triangle. That makes your strength go up. the West schools just don't have the nonconference strength

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
There needs to be something set up for the beginning of the year each year that flip flops from the East to West as hosts. Year prior #1 finisher of SoMeck vs #1 finisher of Cap7. #2 vs #2. And so on and so on. Match the 1's against each other then the 2's from the conferences and you get 12 games at least. I am sure some of the 3s would be interested as well.

An example of how stupid the rankings are is that South Meck lost on the road to Providence with the conference title on the line on PRovidences senior night.

That loss which at the time was 22 South vs 25 Providence dropped south 2 spots in the rankings. One of the teams that jumped them was Pinecrest who was idle and almost 2 quality points behind? How does that happen? What is the formula?

Pinecrest played 5 games vs teams in top 48. 2 vs #34 hoke, 1 vs #26 Grimsley, and 2 vs #48 Richmond. They went 3-2 with losses to hoke and grimsley.

South Meck played 7 games vs top 48. Split vs 24 Prov, Split vs 25 AK, Beat #20 Hough, Lost to #6 Myers Park, and tied 27 Indy. To go 3-3-1.

They played a TOUGHER schedule. Had BETTER wins vs playoff teams. Had BETTER LOSSES as well.

So the fact that Pinecrest with their crappy schedule lost 2 less total games gives them a higher ranking is ridiculous. Their schedule strengths on MP are 5.3 for South and 2.9 for Pinecrest. How does a team with a 2.9 strength of schedule jump a team with a 5.3 strength of schedule while not even playing a game. When the team that played (and did lose) lost to a team ranked higher than ANY team that the IDLE team PLAYED all year?

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

There needs to be something set up for the beginning of the year each year that flip flops from the East to West as hosts. Year prior #1 finisher of SoMeck vs #1 finisher of Cap7. #2 vs #2. And so on and so on. Match the 1's against each other then the 2's from the conferences and you get 12 games at least. I am sure some of the 3s would be interested as well.

An example of how stupid the rankings are is that South Meck lost on the road to Providence with the conference title on the line on PRovidences senior night.

That loss which at the time was 22 South vs 25 Providence dropped south 2 spots in the rankings. One of the teams that jumped them was Pinecrest who was idle and almost 2 quality points behind? How does that happen? What is the formula?

Pinecrest played 5 games vs teams in top 48. 2 vs #34 hoke, 1 vs #26 Grimsley, and 2 vs #48 Richmond. They went 3-2 with losses to hoke and grimsley.

South Meck played 7 games vs top 48. Split vs 24 Prov, Split vs 25 AK, Beat #20 Hough, Lost to #6 Myers Park, and tied 27 Indy. To go 3-3-1.

They played a TOUGHER schedule. Had BETTER wins vs playoff teams. Had BETTER LOSSES as well.

So the fact that Pinecrest with their crappy schedule lost 2 less total games gives them a higher ranking is ridiculous. Their schedule strengths on MP are 5.3 for South and 2.9 for Pinecrest. How does a team with a 2.9 strength of schedule jump a team with a 5.3 strength of schedule while not even playing a game. When the team that played (and did lose) lost to a team ranked higher than ANY team that the IDLE team PLAYED all year?

Well in the case of who did you beat it really comes down to who can you play. Having to play teams like WC 2 times and Hopewell 2 times in conference crush anyone in the IMECKS SOS. Same can be said for the SoMeck and some of their conference teams. Which is why those teams schedule tough non conference games. But when no one you play non conference is getting the ranking they deserve then your SOS still does not get the boost you were hoping for.

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the east:

The difference is who did Hough beat?

And yes, the central schools are skewed in the rankings because of the high population of 4A schools in the triangle. Most of their nonconference is playing other 4A teams in the triangle. That makes your strength go up. the West schools just don't have the nonconference strength

THey do not have to play other triangle schools non conference. Get on a bus. Come to charlotte. Plenty of teams here willing to play just not always on the road. THey want to stay local. Which creates a BUBBLE of high ranks. It is smart. The winston/gboro teams took advantage of it this year. RJR went east and lost a game. did not matter. Their ranking was boosted and so then was every team that played them 2 times.

Just saw it with the hough game. If hough had lost last night to an AK or another good charlotte team they would have dropped behind south. But they lost to gibbons and so they did not lose anything.

Part of the reason the game was agreed to. Great chance to see where you are before playoffs as a team against the #3 team in the state. With NO CHANCE of droppiing in ranking. Smart play by them IMO. If they had won maybe they would have moved up spots

csc8180

Posts 393
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/31/18 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
This is the same argument every year. Last year the East was SOOOO good and would kill any team from the West. Gibbons beat Hough 2-1. A Hough team that many people do not know went through the last 3 games of the playoffs including Gibbons without 2 key starters. Would it had made a difference? Who knows?

My point is I do not think the Gap exists between the top East and West teams that people insist is there. Is there a Gap overall between the regions? Yes. And it is because of the reasons you mentioned above.

MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

This is the same argument every year. Last year the East was SOOOO good and would kill any team from the West. Gibbons beat Hough 2-1. A Hough team that many people do not know went through the last 3 games of the playoffs including Gibbons without 2 key starters. Would it had made a difference? Who knows?

My point is I do not think the Gap exists between the top East and West teams that people insist is there. Is there a Gap overall between the regions? Yes. And it is because of the reasons you mentioned above.

You are correct, there is little to no gap between the top 3 teams in the east and west. But there is a huge gap from teams 4-25 in each side. That is where the SOS comes in. Teams finishing in the bottom half of their conference in the triangle would be easily 2-3 in most conferences in the west. So they had to adjust how they did the playoffs.

And until you see a season in the triangle, you cant understand. Nearly every team can beat anyone. That cant be said about the West. So therefore their SOS is bad.

If you want a higher SOS, travel to the triangle and play good competition. If you dont, stay in the west and complain

4Krans

Posts 120
Registered 11/3/14
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by JoanneT

Whats wrong, you didnt like your loss to Enloe ether? They beat Millbrook, Sanderson, tied or beat Athens, Leesville both times, Broughton, and us Gibbons, with home field advantage. They had us the first game, on our home field, until we got lucky and their keeper made a mistake. They have a surprisingly strong team for having so many young players.

The Cynic

Posts 387
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/31/18 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
The predictable and pathetic HS whining has commenced.
Gopher

Posts 15
Registered 5/14/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 11/1/18 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by The Cynic

The predictable and pathetic HS whining has commenced.

...and you just can't get enough of it based on your predictable and pathetic comments

MyOpinion

Posts 131
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 11/1/18 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by JoanneT

Laney - Ashley = Laney, i'm betting on their recent postseason success
PC - Corinth Holders = PC is very talented

Athens Drive - Knightdale = Athens Drive will go back to early season ways
Sanderson - Millbrook = Sanderson in a toss up

Broughton - Wakefield = Broughton
Apex - Wake Forest = Apex, betting on Coach Todd

Enloe - Riverside = Enloe has been playing well
Cary - Leesville =Cary will exploit their arcane sweeper/stopper

RayRay

Posts 835
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 11/1/18 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
There is really no comparison in the quality of depth. Like MO pointed out, the bottom half of CAP7 and TRI6 would compete very well in the western conferences. The top half just beats up on one another. For Gibbons, Green Hope and Panther Creek to have the records they have is very telling.
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.1736929 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy