NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  6/18/18 12:14 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: College showcases - [26 Replies | 1913 Views]
Iwand2000

Posts 19
Registered 9/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/23/18 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
College showcases

Question for all who have kids in the middle of the recruiting process. Are college showcases as good as ID camps? We are wondering if being on a team that plays in multiple showcases has any real benefit. Thanks.
soccerlovernc

Posts 340
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/23/18 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Showcase tournaments are almost never very helpful. Unless it is an academy showcase or something along those lines and top level coaches are there. It is much better IMO to go to a handful of ID camps AFTER gauging interest from coaches/assistants. Target camps where multiple schools are involved if possible...this is very common with D2/D3 schools. Club ID camps are good too but the players are already vetted and recommended.
Iwand2000

Posts 19
Registered 9/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/23/18 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
So he is going to the ID camps of coaches he is talking with. I am just wondering if all the extra travel and expense is worth it this coming year. His current club team will not go to any showcases and will play in a division lower. The competition will not be as good. Thanks.
messi

Posts 223
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/23/18 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
in general if your kid is national team level than showcases are super efficient OR you don't care about the academics of the school (lots of coaches in theory there). if your kid is good but never going to get a national team callup than probably ID camps are better. If your kid is either geographically focused or only considering top 40 academic schools showcases are even less useful since even if your kid gets contacted, what's the point if the academics are not worth it.

I should say that even top kids at showcases tend to go to ID camps also.

[Edited on 5/23/18 by messi]

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 150
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 5/23/18 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
At four of the ID camps my son has been to, the coach said we don't attend showcases because we don't have the travel budget. So that leave their ID camp. I guess take that for what its worth.
messi

Posts 223
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/23/18 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Liverpoolfan9

At four of the ID camps my son has been to, the coach said we don't attend showcases because we don't have the travel budget. So that leave their ID camp. I guess take that for what its worth.

showcases seem most useful for kids that have no academic restrictions on where they'll go (any D2 or D3) is fine; or national team called up players that every coach will want.

For just about everyone else, ID camps may be a more efficient use of money and time. Assuming you are in the ballpark for playing level.

Iwand2000

Posts 19
Registered 9/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/24/18 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Great responses. This is definitely helpful. Thanks again!
soccerlovernc

Posts 340
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/24/18 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
So the truth is that most coaches don't have the budget to go and spend $$ at showcases. On the other hand, ALL coaches that participates in ID camps make $$. Which one do you thin they will take seriously? This is especially true of smaller schools, even D1 programs that are small.

I recommend your kid first decide on 4 schools that fit him academically...because that is why you go to school. Then contact the coaches AFTER he has looked at the roster. If the roster has a bunch of foreign players then I'd not go. Have him read the bios too. Are they all academy level players or does the college have players that played at his level? Next look at player sizes and style of play too (youtube, Maxprep, Huddle). Assistants are very helpful too. They make no money and do all the work. So, they are more apt to open their mouths if a recruit takes time to call/email them.

Hope this helps.

holygrail313

Posts 22
Registered 1/10/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/5/18 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
As a college coach, there are pros and cons to both. I think a lot of what has been said has been great and spot on.

Showcases allow coaches to see you play in a familiar environment. You're with your club team who you train with consistently and we can see you play in a system you now. However, at showcases there there are dozens if not hundred of kids to sort through who have contacted us and those we have to find leaving minimal time to watch you play. Furthermore, if it's in the winter or early spring pitch conditions are most likely abysmal which doesn't exactly help either.

The benefit to an ID camp with multiple coaches is that it gives you quality time in front of the coach you're interested in, but you're playing with players you don't know and haven't trained with and that could backfire as injuries are pretty commonplace. Camps also allow you to be on campus, meet players and see how the staff interacts with the current team and handles its business, if the school is hosting the camp.

My recommendation, in addition to gauging interest from coaches and finding the right academic fit, is to have a highlight tape of 3-5 minutes with your best clips first and send that out to coaches. Then after establishing contact, determine what ID camps (keep in mind there are Winter, Spring and Summer ID camps) they're going to or hosting that summer and hit those. It'll mostly be the assistant coaches hitting the camp circuit during the summer with the head coach maybe going to 1.

Between December and the end of June I'll have attended 8 camps in 5 states with potential for more and have been able spend more time talking with recruits at ID camps. Since August I've probably only been to 3-4 showcases and had limited results.

Good luck with your process and remember to base your decision on the best fit for you academically, athletically, socially and location-wise.

JoanneT
a.k.a.
Joanne Timmons

Posts 190
Registered 5/14/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/6/18 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by holygrail313

As a college coach, there are pros and cons to both. I think a lot of what has been said has been great and spot on.

Good luck with your process and remember to base your decision on the best fit for you academically, athletically, socially and location-wise.

Great last sentence. Our neighbor's son went through recruiting at D3 schools last fall. The family was lured by the prospect of their son being able to play college soccer. They looked at 4-5 schools with average SAT's from 1050 to 1450. The son was in the 1400 range himself, and with the cost at each school being comparable, he chose a school where they thought they had found the best 'soocer fit', which was at the least academically challenging college.

Fast forward a year and (a) their son played little as a freshman, (b) the son was very surprised to find that the 2.5 month soccer season ends in very early November and after that it's only captain's workouts and then a short spring season, and (c) the academics were below what he really wanted. He's considering a transfer after next year.

Reiterating what the coach said above, "remember to base your decision on the best fit for you academically, athletically, socially and location-wise". Hopefully families remember they're choosing a college, not a soccer club.

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 150
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 6/6/18 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Now that a lot of my friend's kids have gone on to play college, it is amazing to me how many have quit because they found the college grind and what they were promised was completely different than what they imagined. Two of them stayed and played at successful soccer schools (D2 and D1). Once their four years were up, they were ready to be done.

I never would have thought that, these kids that loved soccer, would end up not wanting to play anymore.

Back to the point...Academics has got to be first, it's rare that kids that loved the game end up liking college soccer.

RayRay

Posts 802
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/6/18 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I played baseball in college. Walked on to a D1 school in NC, not my first choice and lesser academic school than I would have chosen otherwise. Redshirted freshman year but worked my tail off. Starter as a sophomore/redshirt freshman. Would have gotten scholarship money the next fall but just quit and transferred to my original top choice. Never picked up a bat or ball again. Fall ball, 50-60 games in the spring, conditioning, early morning workouts---it was all too much to handle as a college student. My point is, you better love the sport and the school and the academics.
holygrail313

Posts 22
Registered 1/10/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/6/18 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by RayRay

I played baseball in college. Walked on to a D1 school in NC, not my first choice and lesser academic school than I would have chosen otherwise. Redshirted freshman year but worked my tail off. Starter as a sophomore/redshirt freshman. Would have gotten scholarship money the next fall but just quit and transferred to my original top choice. Never picked up a bat or ball again. Fall ball, 50-60 games in the spring, conditioning, early morning workouts---it was all too much to handle as a college student. My point is, you better love the sport and the school and the academics.

I've dealt with this a lot this past year. The fact of the matter is student-athletes go from training 2-3 times/week with their club teams and high school teams and a game or 2 per week to doing soccer 6 days a week for 2-3 hours per day, not including travel and not including study hall. As much as everyone wants to go D1 and play pro, not everyone is cut out for it. It requires significant maturity and time management. To break it down from a athletics to academics percentage: D1 is probably 75% athletics and 25%; D2 is closer to 50% and 50%, and D3 is 25% athletics and 75% academics (depending on the school), but the D3 time commitment is very congruent with the high school time commitment. The NAIA level can be just as intense as the D1 level because there are less regulations.

Make sure the schools you look at have the appropriate work-school-social life balance and culture of the program are appropriate for you. The years between 18-23 should be some of the best of your life. Don't waste them trying to make something work that isn't the right fit. College is too expensive to spend it being unhappy!

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 350
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 6/7/18 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Those percentages seem very arbitrary and not what I experienced as a D3 student-athlete from 99-03...
messi

Posts 223
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/7/18 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
different team sport, but someone's kid I knew was on full scholarship at UNC (not ever going to be a starter and no aspirations after college) was most looking at D3s but in state at UNC was deemed better than paying a lot for out of state but good academic D3. gets offer at UNC after already enrolled - anyway shocked after 1 year of full scholarship + cost of attendance cash + all the free nike apparel you could imagine - just quit. D1 level participation and school at good academic seem really hard to balance from what I learned.
Liverpoolfan9

Posts 150
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 6/7/18 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Tecnico_CH17

Those percentages seem very arbitrary and not what I experienced as a D3 student-athlete from 99-03...

Curious, what was your experience as a D3 athlete? Was the athletics more of your time or less? A few I know that have went D3 actually love/like it. The kids that went D2 or D1 just don't like it anymore.

soccerlovernc

Posts 340
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/7/18 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yes...I would like to know that as well. Back when I went to school, soccer is not what it used to be. D3 was basically 60-75 min of practice 5 days per week. Off-season work was minimal. No one I knew ever did summer conditioning etc. Like was stated...more like HS soccer. And I still love the game and play 3 times per week.
Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 350
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 6/7/18 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I enrolled at Greensboro College the year after they lost in the D3 National Final. We trained as much as allowed by the NCAA, freshmen had a study hall in coach's office and we traveled to places like Emory, Messiah, and Elizabethtown. Not cross-country, but the farthest we could go on our "budget." In the Spring season we did weight-training, position specific technical training for def/mid/fwd and ran a ton. Most of the running and weights were on our own, but we were all dedicated to improving.

It was almost 20yrs ago at this point, but despite not having the coaching staff that D1 programs have, I feel like we put in a lot of time toward our athletics.

I know the NCAA has since restricted the Spring season and the pre-season more for D3 so it requires even more intrinsic motivation, but I doubt the experience is going to be similar to HS.

holygrail313

Posts 22
Registered 1/10/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/7/18 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Tecnico_CH17

I enrolled at Greensboro College the year after they lost in the D3 National Final. We trained as much as allowed by the NCAA, freshmen had a study hall in coach's office and we traveled to places like Emory, Messiah, and Elizabethtown. Not cross-country, but the farthest we could go on our "budget." In the Spring season we did weight-training, position specific technical training for def/mid/fwd and ran a ton. Most of the running and weights were on our own, but we were all dedicated to improving.

It was almost 20yrs ago at this point, but despite not having the coaching staff that D1 programs have, I feel like we put in a lot of time toward our athletics.

I know the NCAA has since restricted the Spring season and the pre-season more for D3 so it requires even more intrinsic motivation, but I doubt the experience is going to be similar to HS.

It varies from program to program and coach to coach. It's very difficult to be perennially competitive doing the very minimum. A lot of it is the culture of the program and what the coach's vision is. That's a question I would encourage prospective athletes to ask: "What is your vision and how do you go about working towards that?"

evertontarheel

Posts 67
Registered 3/23/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 6/8/18 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
On a somewhat related note to college recruiting, encountered this tryout season the reality of players graduating from high school and taking a gap year in order to continue to play club soccer in hopes of getting a college scholarship.

Not sure how that is going to work IMO

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0800428 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy