NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  9/19/18 08:52 AM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Does anyone take HS soccer seriously anymore? - [94 Replies | 8682 Views]
soccerlovernc

Posts 345
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/18 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone take HS soccer seriously anymore?

OK I will clarify this by saying that perhaps in smaller counties and schools people still do but around here is Raleigh, seems like parents and now kids are no longer taking HS soccer seriously. For me, this is awful. I hope there is still an avenue for HS players to play in college because not everyone can afford $5k per year of opportunity cost.

What has been your experience? Anyone got kids that played HS only and now playing in college? Or, perhaps did not play academy or ECNL and played college ball? Would love to hear about it.

The Cynic

Posts 379
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/18 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
No and serious people never did.
eagles

Posts 110
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/18 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well it depends....

On the coach
The school
The AD
The parents...

I know several that received a full ride with playing nothing above Classic 1. Coach,school and AD took a interest for the students.......

Soccer is going the way of gymnastics........

We will see if it survives the concussion game that is yet to be played out.

High School football won't......contact sports of any kind within one lifetime will be gone. Soccer is a contact sport.....

Professionally all might fare better than in the high school equation.

Ate lunch recently with a coach in the high school level that most would know. He said he has coached the best period one could imagine. Got a program up and running over 30 years ago. Stayed there although opportunities knocked. Its not the same any more. Parents have changed. School admin's have changed. The politics involved have changed. He has no regrets but fears for the future of high school athletics.

[Edited on 2/15/18 by eagles]

BillWill922
a.k.a.
Bill Wilson

Posts 119
Registered 8/13/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/18 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerlovernc

OK I will clarify this by saying that perhaps in smaller counties and schools people still do but around here is Raleigh, seems like parents and now kids are no longer taking HS soccer seriously. For me, this is awful. I hope there is still an avenue for HS players to play in college because not everyone can afford $5k per year of opportunity cost.

What has been your experience? Anyone got kids that played HS only and now playing in college? Or, perhaps did not play academy or ECNL and played college ball? Would love to hear about it.

I think it's close to impossible to play college without playing some level of club soccer. College coaches realize that club soccer is 10x better than high school soccer.

According to the NCFC Youth website, here are the 2018 college commitments for girls who did NOT play Academy or ECNL - just played Classic - this year:

Appalachian State Univeristy
Barton College
Campbell University
Catawba College
Charleston Southern University
East Carolina University
Francis Marion University
Hampton University
Lees McRae College
Limestone College
Meredith College
Methodist University
Presbyterian College
Queens University of Charlotte
Roanoke College
Saint Leo University
Shenandoah University
The Citadel
Towson University
UNC-Greensboro
UNC-Pembroke
University of Chicago
University of Mount Olive
University of North Florida
University of Richmond
Western Carolina University
Xavier University

At least one girl we know who is on this list won't play high school soccer for fear of getting injured.

[Edited on 2/15/18 by BillWill922]

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 354
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 2/16/18 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yes.
reccos6126

Posts 9
Registered 10/4/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/16/18 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

If your child is good enough for Top level D1 (ACC, UNCW, UNCC) and the teams that compete nationally, the coaches will find you no matter what level you play. If they are that good, they will also find their way on to better teams regardless of price.

If they are still very talented for middle to low tier D1( UNCG, Wofford, Gardner Webb, Campbell) The coaches are recruiting through the club system that are non academy, as well as hgih school coaches doing their own advertising. you need the coaches and the players( when allowed) to be in contact with prospective coaches. Assistants and recruiters at these schools will respond, its their job to find the talent no matter what.

High school soccer is still taken very seriously by a lot of teams, coaches, and players. And the top high school players are going to play D1.

if they have the talent, they will make it. There is almost no one falling through the cracks anymore. If they arent making it to high level college soccer, its because they arent good enough, or they dont want to play anymore.

succotash

Posts 34
Registered 11/20/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/16/18 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
UNCW and UNCC top level?
Liverpoolfan9

Posts 150
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 2/16/18 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
A full ride from soccer? I find that hard to believe. Or are we talking women's soccer? Maybe that is different.

Quote:
Originally posted by eagles

Well it depends....

On the coach
The school
The AD
The parents...

I know several that received a full ride with playing nothing above Classic 1. Coach,school and AD took a interest for the students.......

Soccer is going the way of gymnastics........

We will see if it survives the concussion game that is yet to be played out.

High School football won't......contact sports of any kind within one lifetime will be gone. Soccer is a contact sport.....

Professionally all might fare better than in the high school equation.

Ate lunch recently with a coach in the high school level that most would know. He said he has coached the best period one could imagine. Got a program up and running over 30 years ago. Stayed there although opportunities knocked. Its not the same any more. Parents have changed. School admin's have changed. The politics involved have changed. He has no regrets but fears for the future of high school athletics.

Master of Sparks

Posts 43
Registered 6/8/11
Texas

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/17/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
A higher GPA will receive more $ value than athletic ability, in most cases. There are the rare exceptions.

MySonsPlay

Posts 562
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/17/18 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Master of Sparks

A higher GPA will receive more $ value than athletic ability, in most cases. There are the rare exceptions.

Absolutely no reason kids cannot achieve both.

holygrail313

Posts 22
Registered 1/10/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/20/18 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely still possible to play college soccer by exclusively playing high school. I've been a college coach for about 6 years and have had success recruiting kids who have only played high school due to financial constraints, access to clubs, etc. Granted these are kids out of Los Angeles, but it still happens. Extremely unlikely a player will go directly from high school to a D1 level program, but to a JUCO, DIII, DII or NAIA program is definitely possible. However, I will say it's more efficient and time saving for college coaches to go to club showcases and tournaments because attendance at those is more cost effective and efficient.
soccerlovernc

Posts 345
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/21/18 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses.

Let me ask you this then...who would you consider a good HS level player? All conference? Recommendation of coach above all else? Game tapes? I agree that it is virtually impossible to go play D1 with HS alone. And how and when do you have that conversation?

I also noticed that a certain coach/social entrepreneur in the triangle area is bringing girls over for coaches to look at from West Indies. Clearly they do not play club soccer. Some are getting scholarship offers. I know that this has been happening for a while on the men's side but this was for the first time I have seen it first hand on the girl's side of the game.

soccerlovernc

Posts 345
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/21/18 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Master of Sparks

In most cases, GPA means nothing anymore. It is mostly based on how much a parent can pay. The arms race in academics is much uglier. If you scratch a little bit, you will find out how devious things are. Parents will do just about anything....almost like club soccer. LOL.

The Cynic

Posts 379
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/21/18 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Thanks for all the responses.

Let me ask you this then...who would you consider a good HS level player? All conference? Recommendation of coach above all else? Game tapes? I agree that it is virtually impossible to go play D1 with HS alone. And how and when do you have that conversation?

I also noticed that a certain coach/social entrepreneur in the triangle area is bringing girls over for coaches to look at from West Indies. Clearly they do not play club soccer. Some are getting scholarship offers. I know that this has been happening for a while on the men's side but this was for the first time I have seen it first hand on the girl's side of the game.

How do you know they don't play club soccer in whichever country they live?

Europeans who participate in NCAA soccer played Club Soccer, since there are no HS sports (Europeans focus on actual education) in most civilized nations.

Das

Posts 85
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/22/18 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Some schools do, but I don't think colleges ever have. The play is just too random for it to be a good recruiting environment. Couple that with many programs that don't even have the support of their very own ADs, it's just a waste of time. Kids not playing club don't really stand a chance. Even at my kid's school whose lucky to win 7 games a season, where the AD appears to despise the sport, and the coach barely even has offseason workouts, almost the entire roster is made up of NCFC players. Over half of these play classic. If a team that can't even crack the top 64 (now 48) for a playoff berth still fields all club players, what do you think happens at schools without club players? Most of the schools in our newly realigned conference are made up of almost all classic players at this point.

Plus, recruiters have now figured out how to make the pay to play system work for them as well. There's a never ending line of parents willing to fork out $150 a pop to attend ID camps in the hopes that their kid can play for some D2 school in the middle of nowhere. The recruiters barely have to do any homework since little johnny's parents have signed up and pay $20/mo for captainU, sportsrecruits, or something similar. Any kid who's parents have been paying $3k-5k for them to play a sport for 10 years and put in the effort to reach out to all these schools, probably have the means to pay for the division 2 school of their choice. That's less money that the athletic department has to come up with to cover the cost. So who do you think would be favored in that circumstance? The athletic kid that only plays HS soccer, or the semi athletic kid that's been playing on a mid tier classic team year round for years?

eagles

Posts 110
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/22/18 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter made my choice easy. She was/is going to be a doctor. Any college that showed interest in her did not have needed academic programs. Then I gave her a choice to try out or not where she went. She wasn't a bench sitter her whole life. I wasn't asking her to be then. Its worked out great. We BOTH had tired of her athletic life getting in the way of far more important academic life changing decisions. She walked away with no known physical scars to be carried for the rest of her life ......like so many of her friends.

She intends to get involved with coaching younger kids when she has the time. She didn't leave the game. Just sit it aside for a while.

[Edited on 2/22/18 by eagles]

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 354
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 2/23/18 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Das

Some schools do, but I don't think colleges ever have. The play is just too random for it to be a good recruiting environment. Couple that with many programs that don't even have the support of their very own ADs, it's just a waste of time. Kids not playing club don't really stand a chance. Even at my kid's school whose lucky to win 7 games a season, where the AD appears to despise the sport, and the coach barely even has offseason workouts, almost the entire roster is made up of NCFC players. Over half of these play classic. If a team that can't even crack the top 64 (now 48) for a playoff berth still fields all club players, what do you think happens at schools without club players? Most of the schools in our newly realigned conference are made up of almost all classic players at this point.

Plus, recruiters have now figured out how to make the pay to play system work for them as well. There's a never ending line of parents willing to fork out $150 a pop to attend ID camps in the hopes that their kid can play for some D2 school in the middle of nowhere. The recruiters barely have to do any homework since little johnny's parents have signed up and pay $20/mo for captainU, sportsrecruits, or something similar. Any kid who's parents have been paying $3k-5k for them to play a sport for 10 years and put in the effort to reach out to all these schools, probably have the means to pay for the division 2 school of their choice. That's less money that the athletic department has to come up with to cover the cost. So who do you think would be favored in that circumstance? The athletic kid that only plays HS soccer, or the semi athletic kid that's been playing on a mid tier classic team year round for years?

You keep mentioning Division 2, but I'm not sure if you've looked at many rosters of Division 2 schools.

Das

Posts 85
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/23/18 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used D2 as an example from a recruiting aspect since that's where a majority of weekly camp invitation emails come from, and those are the schools that can still give the false hope that attendees may get a "scholarship." Point being, that a kid that only plays HS doesn't stand a chance. On the girls side, even a mid tier classic player (NCFC premier/gold) will have a tough time, but will always be higher on the totem pole than a HS only player. As for D3, you really have a be a dedicated player that loves the game.
soccerlovernc

Posts 345
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/26/18 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
So what I am hearing is...

HS only = no D1, maybe D2, D3 possible. Of course if your kid is Maradona then it is a different story.

I will say this though, it is so much more efficient for small school coaches to attend ID sessions and and showcases that unless someone is actively lobbying for a player (like a well respected HS coach or AD), the chance of random discovery is next to nothing.

Do any of the college coaches watch HS playoff games or at least the finals?

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 354
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 2/26/18 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

So what I am hearing is...

HS only = no D1, maybe D2, D3 possible. Of course if your kid is Maradona then it is a different story.

I will say this though, it is so much more efficient for small school coaches to attend ID sessions and and showcases that unless someone is actively lobbying for a player (like a well respected HS coach or AD), the chance of random discovery is next to nothing.

Do any of the college coaches watch HS playoff games or at least the finals?

We were contacted by a few college coaches after watching the State Finals this past year. They were in town for NCFC Showcase, so they decided to come out and watch the Finals as well.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.2109361 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy