NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  11/22/17 05:15 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: 4A East Playoff Projections - [26 Replies | 1893 Views]
csc8180

Posts 343
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/20/17 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
4A East Playoff Projections

4A East Playoff Projections

4A WEST AS OF TODAY (10/20)

1. Gibbons (1)

16.Millbrook
17.Athens

9.Enloe (2)
24.Sanderson

8.Panther Creek(2)

4.Heritage (1)

13.Cary
20.Leesville

12.Ashley
21.Knightdale

5.Apex Friendship (1)

2.Hoggard (1)

15.Laney
18.Wake Forest

10.Apex (2)
23.Corinth Holder

7.Pine Forest(1)

3.Green Hope (1)

14.Broughton
19.Jordan

11.Wakefield (2)
22.Holly Springs

6. New Bern (1)

dontknow

Posts 160
Registered 9/19/07

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/23/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I like the way this looks

[Edited on 10/23/17 by dontknow]

RayRay

Posts 745
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/24/17 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Is anyone on here on the Maxpreps ranking committee? In the rankings, I am assuming a higher number under the strength column means you played a tougher schedule. I also assume that the SOS number is combined with W-L record in a formula to come up with the rating. Wellllllll, how in the wide wide world of sports does Hoggard, Ashley and Laney have a higher SOS than Green Hope. Are they somehow handicapping the east and southeast teams? Green Hope and Panther Creek have very similar schedules yet there SOS number is different by 2 whole points. WT heck?
Offsidetrap

Posts 118
Registered 10/23/14
Usa

Soccer Role:
Dad, coach, referee, fan, critic.

posted on 10/24/17 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by RayRay

Is anyone on here on the Maxpreps ranking committee? In the rankings, I am assuming a higher number under the strength column means you played a tougher schedule. I also assume that the SOS number is combined with W-L record in a formula to come up with the rating. Wellllllll, how in the wide wide world of sports does Hoggard, Ashley and Laney have a higher SOS than Green Hope. Are they somehow handicapping the east and southeast teams? Green Hope and Panther Creek have very similar schedules yet there SOS number is different by 2 whole points. WT heck?

Don't even bother with it RayRay. Look at some of the SOS ratings statewide. There are a number of private schools that happened to play and defeat other small private school with good records. The result seems to be a higher SOS. Look at North Raleigh Christian (just using them as an example). They just lost in Rd 2 yet were ranked #2 in NC. Should they have been ranked higher than Green Hope, PC, Hough, Meyers Park... I certainly think there are smaller public and some private schools that can compete and beat the 4As..... but don't tell me they have a tougher schedule overall.

MyOpinion

Posts 116
Registered 11/5/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/24/17 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Offsidetrap

Quote:

Don't even bother with it RayRay. Look at some of the SOS ratings statewide. There are a number of private schools that happened to play and defeat other small private school with good records. The result seems to be a higher SOS. Look at North Raleigh Christian (just using them as an example). They just lost in Rd 2 yet were ranked #2 in NC. Should they have been ranked higher than Green Hope, PC, Hough, Meyers Park... I certainly think there are smaller public and some private schools that can compete and beat the 4As..... but don't tell me they have a tougher schedule overall.

I have not been able to figure them out at all, maxpreps needs to release an algorithm that lets us know what is happening

dontknow

Posts 160
Registered 9/19/07

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/25/17 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:

better hope Gibbons doesnt lose to Enloe, Hoggard will then be #1 in the state and #1 seed overall....

shawnkocher
a.k.a.
Shawn Kocher

Posts 52
Registered 10/30/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/25/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of weeks ago, 4A Garinger moved up in the rankings after losing 7 consecutive games by forfeit. Not sure what the MaxPreps algorithm was doing on that one!

Quote:
Originally posted by dontknow

Quote:

better hope Gibbons doesnt lose to Enloe, Hoggard will then be #1 in the state and #1 seed overall....

RayRay

Posts 745
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/25/17 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dontknow

Quote:

Based on my algorithm on SOS, the Queens fall somewhere in the 15-20 range. It is showing statistical similarity between you and teams like Broughton, Cary and Apex. I am truly sorry to break it to you but I just don't want you to get your hopes too high. I know how crushing such things can be for a teenager. Don't worry though, Ashley and Laney are WAY behind you.

justanothermark

Posts 11
Registered 7/9/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Region/Seed Round 1
E1 Cardinal Gibbons (Raleigh)
E16 E.A. Laney (Wilmington)
E17 Jordan (Durham)

E9 Enloe (Raleigh)
E24 Corinth Holders (Wendell)
E8 Panther Creek (Cary)

E4 Green Hope (Cary)
E13 Cary
E20 Knightdale

E12 Ashley (Wilmington)
E21 Leesville Road (Raleigh)
E5 Apex Friendship (Apex)

E2 Hoggard (Wilmington)
E15 Millbrook (Raleigh)
E18 Athens Drive (Raleigh)

E10 Apex
E23 Sanderson (Raleigh)
E7 Pine Forest (Fayetteville)

E3 Heritage (Wake Forest)
E14 Broughton (Raleigh)
E19 Wake Forest

E11 Wakefield (Raleigh)
E22 Holly Springs
E6 New Bern

up01567

Posts 10
Registered 10/30/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Max Preps ranks Ashley ahead of PC, Enloe, Apex, and Wakefield as #2 seeds, so they move to 8 and everyone else moves down 1.

justanothermark

Posts 11
Registered 7/9/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by up01567

Max Preps ranks Ashley ahead of PC, Enloe, Apex, and Wakefield as #2 seeds, so they move to 8 and everyone else moves down 1.

Ashley is a wildcard as their conference only gets 1 automatic bid and that is Hoggard and therefore they are the top ranked wildcard. #2 automatic bids are ranked above any wild card so I would say that Ashley should remain where it is. At least that is the way I read the rules of seeds based on ranking. #1 automatic bids by maxpreps rank, #2 automatic bids by maxpreps, and then the rest by maxpreps as wildcard.

RayRay

Posts 745
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by justanothermark

Quote:

Ashley is a wildcard as their conference only gets 1 automatic bid and that is Hoggard and therefore they are the top ranked wildcard. #2 automatic bids are ranked above any wild card so I would say that Ashley should remain where it is. At least that is the way I read the rules of seeds based on ranking. #1 automatic bids by maxpreps rank, #2 automatic bids by maxpreps, and then the rest by maxpreps as wildcard.

You are correct mark...

pitchblack

Posts 112
Registered 6/7/13
NC

Soccer Role:
Mostly Parent

posted on 10/27/17 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Six of eight first round games in the Triangle. Hard to choose which one to attend. Will they all be held at the same time?
justanothermark

Posts 11
Registered 7/9/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by pitchblack

Six of eight first round games in the Triangle. Hard to choose which one to attend. Will they all be held at the same time?

Games are likely to be on Tuesday and Wednesday but that won't be finalized until Monday when the official rankings come out. Game times will be worked between the two teams.

up01567

Posts 10
Registered 10/30/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by justanothermark

Quote:

You are correct mark...

I tend to agree with you based on how they have done split conferences in prior years. However, based on the handbook Ashley would be 2nd overall and an automatic qualifier. Nowhere do they specifically say the 2nd place finisher gets an automatic at-large qualification. Ashley was both 2nd place and an automatic qualifier so I grey area them into the 2 place group.

Split conference application
(1) The highest finishing team from a given classification will automatically qualify, regardless of
overall conference finish.
(2) Two teams that finish 1st and 2nd overall in the conference from the same classification will
automatically qualify regardless of rule 4.1.18(a)(1-3).

4.1.19 Seeding:
(a) Once the qualifying teams in each classification are determined, they will be divided into two regions
of equal size (East and West) based on the longitude of each school.
(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows:
(1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths and highest finishing team in each classification of a split
conference by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system); then
(2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking
system); then
(3) Seed all 3rd place automatic berths by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking
system); then
(4) Seed all conference tournament champions and at-large berths by MaxPreps ranking (or oth

JoanneT
a.k.a.
Joanne Timmons

Posts 186
Registered 5/14/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

I tend to agree with you based on how they have done split conferences in prior years. However, based on the handbook Ashley would be 2nd overall and an automatic qualifier. Nowhere do they specifically say the 2nd place finisher gets an automatic at-large qualification. Ashley was both 2nd place and an automatic qualifier so I grey area them into the 2 place group.

4.1.18.(c) Split conference application
(1) The highest finishing team from a given classification will automatically qualify, regardless of
overall conference finish.
(2) Two teams that finish 1st and 2nd overall in the conference from the same classification will
automatically qualify regardless of rule 4.1.18(a)(1-3).

4.1.19 Seeding:
(a) Once the qualifying teams in each classification are determined, they will be divided into two regions
of equal size (East and West) based on the longitude of each school.
(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows:
(1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths and highest finishing team in each classification of a split
conference by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system); then
(2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking
system); then
(3) Seed all 3rd place automatic berths by MaxPreps ranking (or other NCHSAA selected ranking
system); then
(4) Seed all conference tournament champions and at-large berths by MaxPreps ranking (or oth

I tend to agree with you, reading 4.1.18.(c).(2) above

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 298
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 10/27/17 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by pitchblack

A) Brackets aren't official til Monday morning.

B) Coaches/ADs can not begin scheduling games until the brackets are official. If games can not be agreed upon for a different time, the 1st round matchups will be Weds at 7pm. Times and dates could vary, though with Halloween being Tues, I don't see too many games happening that day.

justanothermark

Posts 11
Registered 7/9/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/27/17 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
So if Ashley is an automatic bid as a #2 seed, this would make the playoffs look like this.

E1 Cardinal Gibbons (Raleigh)
E16 E.A. Laney (Wilmington)
E17 Jordan (Durham)

E9 Panther Creek (Cary)
E24 Corinth Holders (Wendell)
E8 Ashley (Wilmington)

E4 Green Hope (Cary)
E13 Cary
E20 Knightdale

E12 Wakefield (Raleigh)
E21 Leesville Road (Raleigh)
E5 Apex Friendship (Apex)