NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  10/18/17 03:08 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: How 2 fix US soccer - [29 Replies | 1166 Views]
messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
How 2 fix US soccer

Step 1. Ban the best players from playing in high school. That way younger siblings, classmates, and kids won't see it as a sport worth following. It may take a couple generations but that way only basketball and football will be popular in US, and soccer can maintain it's purity and NOT become a mainstream sport in the US.

Step 2. Make it really expensive. Find ways to make coaching full time jobs at U4 so the coaches can have new european cars. In basketball, the coaches (even with the best AAU teams) are usually part time gigs.

Step 3. Put a lot of travel into it. Make sure you travel at least 4 hours to play another team even though you can find "good enough" competition in your state.

Step 3A. UPSELL always. Why play local teams when you can fly on planes at U13?

Step 4. Make sure the average household income for the participants is >100K. No inner city athletes need apply.

Step 5. Have tryouts where at least at some age groups the coaches don't even watch the field (NCFC) so that parents who have been paying in for years keep their kids spots.

Step 6. Coaches - never emphasize movement without the ball, playing backwards to maintain possession, or passing into space. Even USSF A coaches have teams that don't do this.

Step 7. Make sure there is some politics involved in player selection. Realize that if Michael Bradley has played on several cycles of your "best" team everything is fine. That is the best athlete the US can find. I can't think of a position on an NBA basketball or NFL football team the US center back who own goaled against T&T would be considered an average athlete for.

Step 8. Under no circumstances copy American Basketball; low costs. fully sponsored summer league teams with travel; Blackout periods for AAU where kids play for their schools. Coaches at the youngest levels that are volunteers or part time.

Step 9. Follow these steps and the US might be competitive with Trinidad and Tobego a country with fewer people than Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

Step 10. Make sure people with vested financial interests determine how to "fix" things. You know, the way big pharma and blue cross will fix the expensive US healthcare system.

Step 11. DO ALL THE SAME THINGS TO WOMEN's soccer. Germany and Brazil banned women from playing soccer in the 1970s. In a few more cycles US women will lose to Germany and France just like the men.

[Edited on 10/11/17 by messi]

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 127
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 10/11/17 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Extremely well said....sounds like a winner.

Can I add only select really tall, big and fast kids regardless of soccer knowledge, technical and tactical ability?

Or would that set U.S. soccer backwards?

Hokie

Posts 118
Registered 5/24/16
Member Is Online

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnt-doesnt-need-better-athletes-win-world-cup-060526124.html
JoanneT
a.k.a.
Joanne Timmons

Posts 179
Registered 5/14/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Step 3B - convince parents that traveling a few states away to play in the 10th and bottom bracket of a national tournament is to their child's benefit as "college coaches will be watching"

Step 5A - make Classic soccer accessible to everyone. Create enough Classic teams (red, green, black, purple, white, orange, yellow, pink, striped, plaid, etc.) so every single parent can tell their friends that their kid plays "Classic". Hide the fact that there are Challenge and Recreation leagues available and better suited for a lot of kids at Classic tryouts.

Step 5B - Bring the Academy Program down to U6. Label kids early in their "soccer careers".

[Edited on 10/11/17 by JoanneT]

messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote

Ronaldo in his prime was a very, very fast human being. Messi's agility is off the charts. Yes height and weight don't matter in soccer but athleticism - speed, agility certainly do. Bradley and Gonzalez in the middle don't scare anyone athletically.

Lack of athleticism is a proxy for lack of wide participation.

The column says some goofy things like soccer in the US is in "big cities" and not "rural". If anything US soccer is a suburban sport. (that's where the money is) the writer thinks the academy is going to fix everything, but in most of the country that academy is too expensive. Girls academy made the travel worse not better than ECNL.

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 127
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by messi

Ronaldo in his prime was one of the fastest humans on the planet. Messi's agility if off the charts. Yes height and weight don't matter in soccer but athleticism - speed, agility certainly do. Bradley and Gonzalez in the middle don't scare anyone athletically.

I'd argue without technical or tactical ability, their superior athleticism would be wasted.

messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Liverpoolfan9

I'd argue without technical or tactical ability, their superior athleticism would be wasted.

of course it would - I agree. But the point is in a country of 300 million people if bradley is the "best" holding midfield you've got, and Gonzalez your best CB, you don't have the "right' people playing (participation) or the right people picking the players.

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 127
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

of course it would - I agree. But the point is in a country of 300 million people if bradley is the "best" holding midfield you've got, and Gonzalez your best CB, you don't have the "right' people playing (participation) or the right people picking the players.

I see, it goes back to your point 7. Given players with the same skill and tactical understanding, take the better athlete. And there has got to be more athletic players in the pool U.S. players.

messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
as a simpler way to illustrate the lack of player pool athleticism on the men's side, think of Becky Sauerbraun and Julie (Johnston) Ertz as CB/DCM compared to gonzalez/Bradley. the ladies would stand out athletically in any female sport, can't say the same on the guys side.
messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

I see, it goes back to your point 7. Given players with the same skill and tactical understanding, take the better athlete. And there has got to be more athletic players in the pool U.S. players.

think we basically agree, this claims Ronaldo is about as fast as Usain Bolt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2242229/Cristiano-Ronaldo-runs-nearly-fast-Usain-Bolt-100m.html

so anyone who claims US men's side isn't ALSO lacking athleticism is nuts (again may be politics in picking players OR participation pool)

The Cynic

Posts 354
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
My solution:

US soccer needs to set up an IMG style Academy where the top 100-150(number is not important)HS age players can live, train and get educated for free.

Upon graduation they should not waste four years in college, but go pro in either MLS or a mid-level European league (Sweden, Denmark, Norway etc).

US soccer may even consider a partnership with a European league and consistently send 10-15/ year for further development. The transfer fees paid by the European teams could go towards financing the Academy.

I consider HS and college soccer to be great detriments to US soccer development.

MySonsPlay

Posts 536
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by The Cynic

My solution:

US soccer needs to set up an IMG style Academy where the top 100-150(number is not important)HS age players can live, train and get educated for free.

Upon graduation they should not waste four years in college, but go pro in either MLS or a mid-level European league (Sweden, Denmark, Norway etc).

US soccer may even consider a partnership with a European league and consistently send 10-15/ year for further development. The transfer fees paid by the European teams could go towards financing the Academy.

I consider HS and college soccer to be great detriments to US soccer development.

You're back?

cjh1

Posts 103
Registered 4/29/03
North Carolina
Carthage

Soccer Role:
Coach

posted on 10/11/17 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Look at out own thread.

How 2 fix US soccer - WE CAN'T
HS boys season - USELESS
Playing Down? - OK CRUSH THE LITTLE KIDS
MLS Stadium proposal for downtown Raleigh - WHY?
Academy players playing high school - MOST SHOULDN'T BE LABELED ACADEMY
NASL sues US soccer - NO PROMOTION/RELEGATION.... NO HOPE
NC Fusion Talent Identification Training... - MORE MONEY
GUSA adidas Clash November 10-12 in Gree... - EVERY COLLEGE IN U.S. WILL BE THERE
LNC seeking Womens Varsity Coach - DON'T GET ME STARTED WITH CHARTER SCHOOLS
Playoff Seeding - WHY EVERYBODY GETS A TROPHY

Then take every national pool player over the age of 25 and CUT them now. Take the U-whatever age and throw them into the deep end until we find 40 guys that want to give a better effort than what was on display last night.

DARKEST DAY IN U.S. MEN'S HISTORY. NO WONDER WE ARE TRYING HOST SO BAD.......

Hokie

Posts 118
Registered 5/24/16
Member Is Online

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
There is IMG Academy for boys and girls.

Not sure about the boys side, but some of the best women's soccer coaches in the nation coach the top women's collegiate teams.

I agree that Bradley doesn't scare anyone in terms of athleticism. Elite athletes can make a difference, but lack of athletes isn't the U.S.'s problem. You think Iceland made the world cup because of its athletes?

The Cynic

Posts 354
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

Not sure about the boys side, but some of the best women's soccer coaches in the nation coach the top women's collegiate teams.

I agree that Bradley doesn't scare anyone in terms of athleticism. Elite athletes can make a difference, but lack of athletes isn't the U.S.'s problem. You think Iceland made the world cup because of its athletes?

IMG is a FOR PROFIT sports academy, I am talking about a FREE academy run by US Soccer.

This is about men's soccer, not women.

The Cynic

Posts 354
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
The US has 3 years to fix the issues.

Dempsey/Howard/Beasley/Bradley/Altidore/Guzan should never play for the US again.

Arena and Sunny Gelato have to go, preferably today.

spend the $$$ on a foreign coach. Ancelotti is available.

messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by The Cynic

The US has 3 years to fix the issues.

Dempsey/Howard/Beasley/Bradley/Altidore/Guzan should never play for the US again.

Arena and Sunny Gelato have to go, preferably today.

spend the $$$ on a foreign coach. Ancelotti is available.

the farthest driving a kid in iceland could ever travel to play a match is equivalent charlotte to raleigh (the max width of Iceland). The travel in the US is insane for weekend games. Ban that as a start. If any team GDA, ECNL , DA etc.. wants to travel more than 2 hours for a game they must certify there is not team within that area at any age they can play competitively. The travel must go first. I can't imagine parents in Iceland, germany or france are paying for their kids to play soccer nor would consider traveling the equivalent of florida to north carolina to play a weekend match.

messi

Posts 173
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/11/17 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

the perceived lack of athleticism for the Bradley's is a proxy for lack of a wide net cast for young players that are no longer that athletic once they pass puberty , and a lack of shuffling player pools to give others development chances.

Hokie

Posts 118
Registered 5/24/16
Member Is Online

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/12/17 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Let's face it, the USMNT has grown stale....been stale for a while....offense has lacked a punch and killer instinct and the defense has had issues for years. Time to reload with youth and players who have to compete and play hard to earn/save their spot on the roster. There is enough talent and athleticism in the player pool. Selecting a roster based on Caps and experience in international games is overrated.....either players know the game or they don't. Pulisic may be a rare find for the U.S., but one thing he brings is motivation and desire....and a youth movement will bring more of that which I think is more important than Caps. Look at Iceland....you take U.S. talent and combine it with their desire and you've got something.

[Edited on 10/12/17 by Hokie]

csc8180

Posts 315
Registered 11/7/10

Soccer Role:
MASTER OF THE TOE POKE

posted on 10/12/17 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

I could have sworn bradley was playing CB since he very rarely seemed to want to push any higher than the edge of the center circle. guess we were worried about the lethal TnT counter attack.......

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0832591 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy