NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  9/22/17 05:02 AM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Playing Down? - [16 Replies | 1067 Views]
TerryRansbury
a.k.a.
Terry Ransbury

Posts 26
Registered 4/19/16
Wake Forest, NC

Soccer Role:
Co-Founder Accelerator School

posted on 9/12/17 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Playing Down?

Heard a story twice now from different parents that some players, because of their small stature, are being "given an opportunity" to play games (not sure about training) down an age group. Rumor has it that it is mandated from US Soccer but I have given up trying to find it after a good deal of looking. Can anyone verify this? And if true, can anyone explain the rationale?
View User's Profile Email TerryRansbury View All Posts By User U2U TerryRansbury
Hokie

Posts 114
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/12/17 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a load of crap.
soccerlovernc

Posts 231
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/13/17 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
There is no such provision.
TerryRansbury
a.k.a.
Terry Ransbury

Posts 26
Registered 4/19/16
Wake Forest, NC

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/13/17 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

Not sure if you were implying my post or the event in question but I did receive confirmation that this is happening.

View User's Profile Email TerryRansbury View All Posts By User U2U TerryRansbury
soccerlovernc

Posts 231
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/13/17 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryRansbury

Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

Not sure if you were implying my post or the event in question but I did receive confirmation that this is happening.

Can you please post a credible linke from NCYSA or US Soccer? I cannot see this happening in any way, shape or form in a sanctioned classic level league.

Confirmation from who?

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 120
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 9/13/17 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I asked our club registrar and she said no way. If anyone is doing that, it is completely incorrect. When a player is issued their player card from the club registrar, it clearly has their birth year on the card and that is the youngest age they may play.
AHW

Posts 197
Registered 6/6/13
Scotland

Soccer Role:
research and development

posted on 9/13/17 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Probably best to go straight to the source--it is a USSDA thing. So an academy director should be able to explain. It may just be for boys on the dual-age teams, but yes my son's team had two players who were latter part of the year 2002s and they're playing with the 15s.
TerryRansbury
a.k.a.
Terry Ransbury

Posts 26
Registered 4/19/16
Wake Forest, NC

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/13/17 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a link of a game not involving our local clubs although it has happened here. You will see both teams played '02s in an '03 DA game. Orlando's two '02 logged an impressive 80 minutes each (full time).

http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/ss/view_game_report.php?eventId=4153734&teamId=3989301

soccerlovernc

Posts 231
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/14/17 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Terry. Definitely helps the younger kids that were affected by age group changes. I cannot see classic leagues adopting that and it is IMO fairly stupid. Why go through all this reshuffle if you do not respect the law?
SoccerMomandWife

Posts 114
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/14/17 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
This link has people discussing it: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/u-s-soccer-development-academy-releases-2017-2018-regular-season-schedule.3226/

Looks like up to two players per team can play down.

Seems silly to me. Either you have an age group or you do not.

JoanneT
a.k.a.
Joanne Timmons

Posts 173
Registered 5/14/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/15/17 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerMomandWife

This link has people discussing it: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/u-s-soccer-development-academy-releases-2017-2018-regular-season-schedule.3226/

Looks like up to two players per team can play down.

Seems silly to me. Either you have an age group or you do not.

Exactly. Especially after states bent over backwards to changes their entire soccer landscape to conform to the 'birth year' mandate, which was supposed to keep all clubs / teams / levels / states on a consistent playing field (pun intended). But now they make exceptions.

The academy program still plays by a different set of rules.

BillWill922
a.k.a.
Bill Wilson

Posts 111
Registered 8/13/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/15/17 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I can hear the myopic soccer parents at next year's tryouts at NCFC

"Well, maybe you don't think my child is good enough for the academy team ... BUT ... if you put him on the team and let him play down a year ... he'll fit right in".

"Where are the tryouts for the players who want to make academy but play down a year?"

Das

Posts 63
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/15/17 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's rather annoying that they went through the entire birth year fiasco so that the top .001% of players would match international competition rules, only to find out that the same top .001% still won't follow the rules. Why didn't they just leave the rest of us alone?
JoanneT
a.k.a.
Joanne Timmons

Posts 173
Registered 5/14/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/15/17 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerlovernc

Thanks Terry. Definitely helps the younger kids that were affected by age group changes.

Well let's help them even more.

Since these younger kids, perhaps born in September through December of a calendar year, were affected so much by the age group changes lets help them out some more. Maybe they can all play down with the younger age group.

So we'll rearrange the age groups again and go September of year XX through August of year XX+1 - sort of like the school year groupings.

Hmm

Beagle

Posts 64
Registered 2/12/13

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/19/17 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
This is happening at our DA club. There is one 02 currently rostered on the U16/17 team but training and playing games with the 03s (U15). Also one 03 rostered on U15 but playing down with the 04s (U14). From what I can tell it has nothing to do with birth month, ie. being a young 02 for example, but about physical size.

Regardless, this seems like a very slippery slope if clubs can make these exceptions to the birth year rule.

Rather than change the age rules for smaller or possibly younger players, change the way the game is coached/played so the focus isn't on the bigger, more physical, early maturing players. Pipe dream I know.

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 120
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 9/19/17 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Beagle

This is happening at our DA club. There is one 02 currently rostered on the U16/17 team but training and playing games with the 03s (U15). Also one 03 rostered on U15 but playing down with the 04s (U14). From what I can tell it has nothing to do with birth month, ie. being a young 02 for example, but about physical size.

Regardless, this seems like a very slippery slope if clubs can make these exceptions to the birth year rule.

Rather than change the age rules for smaller or possibly younger players, change the way the game is coached/played so the focus isn't on the bigger, more physical, early maturing players. Pipe dream I know.

Very well said. I love the insight here. Since we changed to birth years let's coach the game so that there is more thought involved instead of brute force. Perhaps this is why one of the DAs in NC is not fairing too well so far. They focus on size and strength and not knowledge of the game. Don't get me wrong, there are some tremendous players in the DA, but many kids slightly smaller in stature get immediately overlooked.

x-man

Posts 188
Registered 2/21/12

Soccer Role:
Coach, parent, manager

posted on 9/19/17 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I simply don't like it. I understand the issue and why they're doing it but the entire soccer landscape changed in order to get in sync with the academy system of birth year, and now they make exceptions for themselves which aren't allowed at other levels (Classic, Challenge, Recreation).

I'm waiting for this to be exploited by a club when they decide to 'play down' some talented players in order to get a "W" for their younger age team. Apparently there's nothing wrong with that idea.

[Edited on 9/19/17 by x-man]

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0605681 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy