NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  1/21/18 01:31 AM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: MLS Stadium proposal for downtown Raleigh - [76 Replies | 6120 Views]
Offsidetrap

Posts 119
Registered 10/23/14
Usa

Soccer Role:
Dad, coach, referee, fan, critic.

posted on 8/16/17 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by MySonsPlay

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassicDad1

FC Cincinnati plays the NY Red Bulls tonight. If they win it will be a full marketing onslaught, just like when we beat the LA Galaxy here several years back.

The notable difference will will be crowd size. This game is sold out announced on Aug 9th, six days prior, which means a crowd of over 30,000.

The MLS should have already awarded FC Cincinnati a franchise, the fans have earned it.

33,250 was the announced crowd at the FC Cincinnati loss to the Red Bulls. 2nd largest Open Cup crowd ever I think they said.

Hokie

Posts 137
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/16/17 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
This is interesting, it seems Cincinnati is great at setting single game attendance records, but its professional teams struggle on average over the course of a season compared to other franchises. For instance, the Reds set a MLB single game attendance record (43,804) this past April, yet the Reds are on pace to have their 2nd lowest season attendance average since their stadium opened in 2003.
https://blogredmachine.com/2017/05/02/cincinnati-reds-attendance-woes/

Simarly, the Cincinnati Bengals home attendance numbers were 3rd lowest in the NFL last season. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/01/03/here-s-how-the-bengals-fared-at-the-turnstiles.html

So are Cincy sports fans all transitioning to soccer or is the stellar attendance numbers this year for FC Cincinnati just an anomaly?

Regardless, the Cincy metropolitan area has nearly 900,000 more people than Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

a dad

Posts 190
Registered 3/16/05

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/16/17 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

This is interesting, it seems Cincinnati is great at setting single game attendance records, but its professional teams struggle on average over the course of a season compared to other franchises. For instance, the Reds set a MLB single game attendance record (43,804) this past April, yet the Reds are on pace to have their 2nd lowest season attendance average since their stadium opened in 2003.

Simarly, the Cincinnati Bengals home attendance numbers were 3rd lowest in the NFL last season. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/01/03/here-s-how-the-bengals-fared-at-the-turnstiles.html

So are Cincy sports fans all transitioning to soccer or is the stellar attendance numbers this year for FC Cincinnati just an anomaly?

Regardless, the Cincy metropolitan area has nearly 900,000 more people than Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

The Reds and the Bengals are awful on the field and have been for a while so they are attendance is going to continue to trend downwards.

MySonsPlay

Posts 552
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/16/17 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

Hokie, I grew up in Northern KY,just across the river. I am lifelong Bengals and Reds fan, I remember going to Nippert Stadium for Bengals games when they first started.(I just aged myself).

Both the Reds and Bengals fan bases can be quite fickle, there is a core fan base that has supported each team and is very loyal. My brother still owns season tickets to the Bengals that my father bought in 1968, my family has been thru it all the Bengals, He threatens to give them up every year. My cousins are the same way with the Reds, have had season tickets in the family since the old Crosley Field days.

All my family and friends believe this to be the same thing that is being built by FC Cincinnati. There will be core support, the youth soccer community is strong. Like many teams the attendance will ebb and flow with the winning and losing.

At least Cincinnati has 100+ years of supporting the Reds and 50 years of supporting the Bengals, two average professional teams, but professional teams none the less.

If they build their soccer specific stadium on the corner of the Ohio and Licking Rivers in Newport, KY it will be beautiful and a destination place. It will over look the Ohio Rive and have a great view of the Cincinnati skyline. I already have a name for it "Skyline Palace" the name sponsor would be Skyline Chili, a local chain of restaurants that specialize in Greek chili.

Hokie

Posts 137
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/16/17 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
So you think Malik needs to divert the Neuse River through downtown Raleigh in order for NCFC to get a bid?
Hokie

Posts 137
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/20/17 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like icing on the cake for Cincinnati's bid.....
http://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/crowds-turn-out-in-record-numbers-for-us-womens-team-victory-over-new-zealand

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 304
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 9/22/17 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
let's hope the crowd turns out in Cary next month.
soccerlovernc

Posts 268
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/26/17 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Look it has been well established that Cary cannot draw a crowd for NCFC/Railhawks on a consistent basis. Would it be better if a new location was announced or a new league? Frankly, I do not know. This is a an area with lots of superior college teams that draw the audience and $$. Will be a touch road for Malik and company no matter what.
Hokie

Posts 137
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/5/17 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
The dream may have just died.....

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article176948111.html

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 304
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 10/6/17 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Should be a decent crowd at WakeMed tonight... There was a couple thousand out there last Friday for the UNC v NCSt8 game too.
Hokie

Posts 137
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 11/29/17 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Four finalists named for two-team expansion.....Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville and Sacramento.

Das

Posts 71
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 11/29/17 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Wonder if some of the rumors I've heard about TFC backing out will come to fruition now.
Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 304
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 11/30/17 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Backing out?
tokoli

Posts 141
Registered 6/14/12
North Carolina
Mebane

Soccer Role:

posted on 11/30/17 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Das

Wonder if some of the rumors I've heard about TFC backing out will come to fruition now.

Backing out after just one year?

evertontarheel

Posts 59
Registered 3/23/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 12/1/17 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
How would that even work?

Pre-merger, IMO, TFC had strong older girls program. Boys, not so much. There DA teams not so good.

And I am not a particular fan of the behemoth that is NCFC. But the reality in the Triangle is you will have NCFC, Wake FC as major dogs. TUSA I suppose will continue hanging on; XL is retooling so TBD with them.

soccerlovernc

Posts 268
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 12/1/17 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
@Das

This is new to me. Could you elaborate please?

soccerlovernc

Posts 268
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 12/1/17 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by evertontarheel

How would that even work?

Pre-merger, IMO, TFC had strong older girls program. Boys, not so much. There DA teams not so good.

And I am not a particular fan of the behemoth that is NCFC. But the reality in the Triangle is you will have NCFC, Wake FC as major dogs. TUSA I suppose will continue hanging on; XL is retooling so TBD with them.

How is XL retooling? Geesh...I am so out of the loop now?

x-man

Posts 200
Registered 2/21/12

Soccer Role:
Coach, parent, manager

posted on 12/1/17 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerlovernc

@Das

This is new to me. Could you elaborate please?

Yeah, I can't see it happening. I might be totally incorrect, but I believe that NCFC Youth has rights to all the old TFC practice fields. So if some coaches / administrators decided to leave and 'restart' TFC, they would have limited places to practice.

Also parents, as much as they might hate the giant NCFC Youth, could be terriried of a new-TFC sort of starting all over again. Plus TFC might have given up their spot in NCYSA in the merger so they would have to join forces with another club to play NC Classic. There's no guarantee that players would leave to head back to TFC.

I doubt there was any provision in the merger to have TFC back out and take their coaches/players/money if NCFC didn't get an MLS team.

But as I said, I might be totally incorrect. I have been before.

Das

Posts 71
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 12/2/17 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
It's nothing official by any means. I personally don't see it happening, and it's probably just rumors at this point. More of a "parent sideline talk" rumor than anything else, but I have heard it from different people and one wasn't just a parent. Even if some of the former coaches are disgruntled, I think they'd have to form a new club. But that kind of thing happens all the time anyway. It's very easy to get lost in the NCFC system, so I could see the lure for some parents who would like to move away. Even given the chance to play for a smaller club on a higher level team would mean tons of travel for practices since NCFC has pretty much locked down all the good field space.
RayRay

Posts 757
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 12/4/17 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
This is way out there but TUSA has done some weird stuff recently. I wonder if TFC coaches would leave NCFC and go to TUSA. It would take a unified front but if they did it, wouldn't it be easier? There would be no merger to do, it's just combining forces.
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0751600 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy