NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  10/18/17 03:17 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: MLS Stadium proposal for downtown Raleigh - [29 Replies | 2348 Views]
Hokie

Posts 118
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/19/17 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
MLS Stadium proposal for downtown Raleigh

[Edited on 7/19/17 by Hokie]

Attachment: image.png (874.29kb)
This file has been downloaded 0 times

Attachment: image.jpg (174.25kb)
This file has been downloaded 0 times

matchfit

Posts 471
Registered 6/3/10
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/19/17 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
beautiful
shrew

Posts 15
Registered 7/6/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/19/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
No way that Peace Street can handle that traffic.
soccerlovernc

Posts 242
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/19/17 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
No way MLS is coming to Raleigh.
Liverpoolfan9

Posts 127
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 7/19/17 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Or Charlotte. Would be nice though.
Das

Posts 63
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/20/17 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
The only way Raleigh is getting the MLS is if something is going on behind the scenes that no one knows of. I mean how did Malik get on the board of US Soccer? If we get the bid, it would surely raise some eyebrows.
soccerlovernc

Posts 242
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/24/17 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well he has to bring in investors with deep pockets. I can see the bid happening if they can get a tie-up with a major club from abroad. Malik has been pretty savvy with a lot of his moves though. It may happen, but odds are slim to none.
Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 291
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 7/24/17 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Odds are higher than that. The stadium deal being downtown is a big deal. Obviously, it's far from done, but if it gets approval I think Raleigh's (NCFC) bid jumps into the top 4.
beautifulgame

Posts 25
Registered 5/20/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/25/17 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
super impressed with ncfc's bid and the meticulous, detailed and calculated way they have walked through the process. i agree with malik that it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. he already has a lot of the right players (corporate) on board. i don't think we are in the top two, but a real good shot at the top 4. kudos to malik and johnson. job (so far) well done.
soccerlovernc

Posts 242
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/7/17 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Johnson is a class act and has deep roots to the soccer community. US Soccer is more interested in development of players versus another MLS franchise. I think Malik and co are going strong with this path because let's face it, they are not as deep pocketed as some of the other bidders. Unique market with two pro teams under the same umbrella and one of the biggest youth soccer franchises in the nation. With Charlotte's bid looking weaker by the day, this is now becoming a real possibility...definitely a top 4 bid at this point.
Hokie

Posts 118
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/7/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Attendance not in NCFC's favor.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGoqcPCXsAE6PHw.jpg:large

[Edited on 8/7/17 by Hokie]

Das

Posts 63
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/8/17 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Based on attendance FC Cincinnati is off the charts. That said, I really don't think Ohio of all places should have 2 teams when there are so many unserved regions. Sacramento is the same, and as much as I'd hate to see California get yet another team. At least that state is huge, and Sacramento makes more sense. It's almost the same distance from LA as Raleigh is to Ohio. If anything knocks us out of contention, it will be attendance, especially if they look at the Hurricanes attendance numbers.
MySonsPlay

Posts 536
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/8/17 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Nice information, Hokie.

NCFC is doing everything right, but but the fan base is not there, just because your kid plays does not mean you will support a professional team.

I am included in that group. I attend games at NC State, Duke, UNC and Campbell and occasionally head over to Elon. I watch the EPL and Bundseliga every Sat and Sun morning while in season. I have very little incentive to add another team to my table.

I just do not think the Triangle will support a MLS team, look at the Carolina Hurricanes they are dead last in attendance.

My sons both attended a couple of NCFC games this summer, and only because they were offered free tickets, and they also got to attend the FC Cincinnati vs Valencia game in Cincinnati and to quote my oldest son's text while in attendance " the atmosphere here is pretty sick". I do not thing you get that when you have less than 5000 at most of your games.

But maybe Malik's political hobnobbing and connections he has developed will pave the way.

Das

Posts 63
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/8/17 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
NCFC basically gave away seats to the first fall game by having $10 seats in any section, and still couldn't break 5k. That doesn't bode well.
Hokie

Posts 118
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/8/17 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Can't really make a comparison with hockey. I am from the south....never played hockey and hardly watched hockey growing up. And now the Canes stink, so they aren't even drawing a bandwagon crowd. I can hardly find an NHL game on TV anymore...not that I am overly looking. But FoxSports shows soccer all the time and ESPN shows international soccer games. Aside from the northern transplants, southerners just don't know much about hockey. There is no comparison between the number of youth playing soccer and hockey.

I think NCFC numbers are down primarily because the Triangle soccer fan base got split by bringing in the Courage. Parents of daughters, who used to attend Railhawks games, are now attending Courage games instead. I fall into this category.

soccerlovernc

Posts 242
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/8/17 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Well there are many reasons for low attendance. I do not blame the current ownership but let's face it, the product on the field has been less than average. Colin Clarke wants to play good soccer and I give him credit for it but NCFC/Railhawks are on track to miss off-season again this year. Also, might I dare say that the re-branding has left many longtime fans (like me) a little disenchanted? One of the supporter clubs has disbanded too. I think the team could easily draw 5000+ per game with a better product on the field. There was a lot of excitement last year with new ownership, a couple of big names etc that attracted some bandwagon or curious fans. Now it is kind of same ole same ole.

I am sure the Courage are drawing some fans away but they are in the same ball park too in attendance.

MySonsPlay

Posts 536
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/8/17 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
5000+ will not cut it, the Triangle fan base has just not shown the will to show up and support NCFC.

Look at the attendance figures that Hokie posted. There are plenty of other cities that will support a MLS club much better than the Triangle area.

If a better product only adds a few hundred, then you have a problem. Heck, better weather on game day can do that.

ClassicDad1

Posts 175
Registered 2/11/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/15/17 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
FC Cincinnati plays the NY Red Bulls tonight. If they win it will be a full marketing onslaught, just like when we beat the LA Galaxy here several years back.
soccerlovernc

Posts 242
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/15/17 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by MySonsPlay

5000+ will not cut it, the Triangle fan base has just not shown the will to show up and support NCFC.

Look at the attendance figures that Hokie posted. There are plenty of other cities that will support a MLS club much better than the Triangle area.

If a better product only adds a few hundred, then you have a problem. Heck, better weather on game day can do that.

I suppose. College sports is huge in the triangle too. Lot of options to spend your entertainment $$.

MySonsPlay

Posts 536
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 8/15/17 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by ClassicDad1

FC Cincinnati plays the NY Red Bulls tonight. If they win it will be a full marketing onslaught, just like when we beat the LA Galaxy here several years back.

The notable difference will will be crowd size. This game is sold out announced on Aug 9th, six days prior, which means a crowd of over 30,000.

The MLS should have already awarded FC Cincinnati a franchise, the fans have earned it.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0704401 seconds, 18 queries

Our Privacy Policy