NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  9/22/17 05:02 AM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Excessive underlining - I've figured it out. - [6 Replies | 315 Views]
cswiii

Posts 3
Registered 5/28/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/28/17 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Excessive underlining - I've figured it out.

All,

First of all, I've been a lurker for about 2-3 years, but only registered tonight. I look forward to participating where I can.

Anyway, the primary reason I actually even joined was because the excessive underlining across the site, which some folks (including myself) see, was finally driving me bonkers enough to try and resolve it. Some technical details below.

Viewing the source of the site's front page, there are a couple of interesting html snippets in the document. The first is this snippet:
Code:

<style type="text/css">
a:hover {
text-decoration: underline; font:bold;
}
</style>

The second is this snippet:

Code:
<a name="#top">

What does this mean?

In simple terms:

* The first snippet means "anything with an "a" tag gets underlined and bolded".
* The second snippet is an anchor tag for the top of the page.
* "a" is often -- but not always -- followed by a link. In many cases, as we all know, links are often underlined.

The short version - the entire website has an unterminated anchor atop the page, and the page is instructed to display anything hovered as underlined text.

The solution to this is one of two things, and is very easy to fix:

Solution #1
Remove this snippet of CSS completely. It does not seem very useful.

Solution #2
Edit the snippet above to read:

Code:
<style type="text/css">
a:link {
text-decoration: underline; font:bold;
}
</style>

This causes the page to behave as I think it is expected.

Really, that's it. I debugged/tested it in my own browser, and it looks fine.

@Eagle1, I truly appreciate the efforts you've put into this site. I have been a consumer of the info here for far shorter than many who participate, but I've gotten a lot out of it. If you want/need some assistance at fixing the underlining, let me know and I will try and help you out. Thanks for all your hard work!

[Edited on 5/28/17 by cswiii]

cswiii

Posts 3
Registered 5/28/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/28/17 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well, drat, the site isn't showing my snippets. I will see what I can figure out.

Edit: Found a workaround to fix it, I think.

[Edited on 5/28/17 by cswiii]

Eagle1
Administrator

Posts 58
Registered 5/16/02
Missouri
Viburnum, MO

Soccer Role:
Key Master

posted on 5/29/17 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
WHat browser and which theme are you using. All the CSS is db driven so it is more than just changing the style sheet.

Miracles Happen !!!

View User's Profile Email Eagle1 Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Eagle1
Eagle1
Administrator

Posts 58
Registered 5/16/02
Missouri
Viburnum, MO

Soccer Role:
Key Master

posted on 5/29/17 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
OK since it drove you nuts. I changed the default to just bold but you could always go into forum control panel - option and select what ever mouse over action you wanted. BOLD- UNDERLINE - BOTH . I knew I had this covered but been a while since I looked at the code.

Miracles Happen !!!

View User's Profile Email Eagle1 Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Eagle1
cswiii

Posts 3
Registered 5/28/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/29/17 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
It is Chrome and the default theme of the site. Things look good now, however!

The issue is/was that mouseover is/was covering the entire text of the page, not just a link.

[Edited on 5/29/17 by cswiii]

Eagle1
Administrator

Posts 58
Registered 5/16/02
Missouri
Viburnum, MO

Soccer Role:
Key Master

posted on 5/29/17 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah Chrome changed how some elements are displayed some time ago. I just never got to fixing it. I just changed the default to bold only. It can be controlled in the forum options.

I just don't do any coding or computer work these days and find it hard to motivate myself to be near this beast to work. Much rather be outside working or hunting.

Miracles Happen !!!

Eagle1
Administrator

Posts 58
Registered 5/16/02
Missouri
Viburnum, MO

Soccer Role:
Key Master

posted on 5/29/17 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
BTW the name= #top is link so you use the arrows to go to the top of any page. There is matching name=#bottom.

Miracles Happen !!!

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0458691 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy