NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  5/27/17 06:43 AM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Advice - U10 - [10 Replies | 824 Views]
morrisvillesoccer1

Posts 2
Registered 5/16/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/17 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Advice - U10

Hello, I am new here but have read the forums for a year or so. My son is an 08 birthday and played challenge last year. He tried out for NCFC Youth Juniors and didn't make it. He had a really poor try out and probably would've made it (albeit in the bottom half) if he played his normal game. This upcoming year he will be doing Next Level's Academy which should hopefully help his technical skills.

What would you guys recommend? I am reluctant to do challenge as he needs to be taught and developed, and with volunteer coaches, who knows what you get. Would WakeFC Juniors program be a good alternative? Looks like they practice 3x a week and still have supplemental tryouts available.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you,

DirtyCleatsDad

Posts 58
Registered 3/22/13
Usa
Cary

Soccer Role:
Cleats cleaner. Chauffeur

posted on 5/16/17 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
First, ask your son what He wants to do.--and go with it. He needs to enjoy the game and have fun. If your son couldn't make NCFC Juniors, it's very probable he won't make Wake FC Juniors. He may, but Wake FC has a lot, and I mean a lot of kids tryout. If your son made the NLA Academy training program, he will improve. How much is up to him. If he is participating in functionals, he still will improve, but the training curriculum and pace is not as advanced/fast as Academy.
Yes, coaches(teachers)are very important at the 8u-13u. There are some very good challenge and rec. coaches. It's about your son's desire and commitment to improve. If he doesn't have it, why pay the extra $$$$?-and I do mean $$$$. For the most part, a talented and skilled challenge team will be just as good, if not better than the lowest tiered classic team in thier age group.

soccermonty69

Posts 91
Registered 5/8/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/17/17 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
No substitute for playing games and getting that experience at whatever the highest level you can play is. Supplement that with extra training if your wallet can take it.
Das

Posts 56
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/18/17 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
It won't hurt to have him tryout for Wake FC jrs. If he doesn't make it, then challenge will be the next best thing. Plus, in tournaments he'll get to play against junior/classic level talent as SC and VA don't have challenge leagues. From what I understand the 08s have to do a full re-draft, so you may get a better coach than what you had before. Even though they're volunteers, in my experience the majority of challenge coaches are pretty good, and should at least have low level licenses. CASL used to require licensing, but it seems that they haven't really kept track of their challenge coaches of late. Instead, they've been pushing coaching camps to get coaches to follow the regime of their classic coaches. The problem is alot of challenge coaches still try to do their own thing.
soccerlovernc

Posts 189
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/18/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
If your son did not make NCFC Juniors then he is probably not very good...yet. If he takes a ball to the yard and practices without you telling him to do so then by all means do NLA. It is very boring for most kids. If he does not, then save your money and tell him to try again next year. Not trying to be rude but keeping it real.
morrisvillesoccer1

Posts 2
Registered 5/16/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/18/17 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. So he went this week, and did make WakeFC Juniors. I think he was good enough to make NCFC Juniors as a bottom 1/3 type player, but just played poorly. Either that or WakeFC is taking anyone and everyone for the $$$. You guys would know better than me. I've asked my son at least 5x now, and he insists he wants to play Classic if possible.

So I guess the question now is, how much better would it be to do WakeFC Juniors versus NCFC Challenge? I suppose no way to really know given the disparity of coaches. I would typically do WakeFC in a heartbeat, but it's long freaking drive each way from where we are near RTP.

[Edited on 5/18/17 by morrisvillesoccer1]

SoccerMomandWife

Posts 112
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/18/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!

For player development -- I would pick classic over challenge because you should, theoretically, have better players, better competition, better coaches.

But that is all theoretical.

soccerlovernc

Posts 189
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/19/17 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by morrisvillesoccer1

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. So he went this week, and did make WakeFC Juniors. I think he was good enough to make NCFC Juniors as a bottom 1/3 type player, but just played poorly. Either that or WakeFC is taking anyone and everyone for the $$$. You guys would know better than me. I've asked my son at least 5x now, and he insists he wants to play Classic if possible.

So I guess the question now is, how much better would it be to do WakeFC Juniors versus NCFC Challenge? I suppose no way to really know given the disparity of coaches. I would typically do WakeFC in a heartbeat, but it's long freaking drive each way from where we are near RTP.

[Edited on 5/18/17 by morrisvillesoccer1]

Congrats! I suppose there is only one way to find out.

Master of Sparks

Posts 40
Registered 6/8/11
Texas

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/19/17 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Things can change real fast at that age. My daughter went from the very bottom 1/3 to the very top 1/3 at that age. Now I will say she had the ball on her feet EVERY opportunity from the yard to the house, up and down stairs also with anyone who would kick with her. The biggest thing is if the kid truly wants to be better.
Congratulations and good luck. I hope he falls in love with the game.

DirtyCleatsDad

Posts 58
Registered 3/22/13
Usa
Cary

Soccer Role:
Cleats cleaner. Chauffeur

posted on 5/19/17 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Happy that your son made it. alot of good advice and truth here. I'd stay with Wake FC. Juniors program rather than challenge- if it makes sense financially for your family.
soccerlovernc

Posts 189
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/22/17 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Master of Sparks

Things can change real fast at that age. My daughter went from the very bottom 1/3 to the very top 1/3 at that age. Now I will say she had the ball on her feet EVERY opportunity from the yard to the house, up and down stairs also with anyone who would kick with her. The biggest thing is if the kid truly wants to be better.
Congratulations and good luck. I hope he falls in love with the game.

And therein lies the key to player development. Congrats to you and a big cheer for your daughter.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0532119 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy