NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  11/22/17 05:07 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Coaching Ethics - [12 Replies | 1854 Views]
PackTKE

Posts 32
Registered 8/27/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/15/17 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Coaching Ethics

I would like to pose a question to the group. Do you believe it is appropriate or ethical for a coach to be paid by parents to conduct private training for select players that are currently on a club team he is currently coaching outside of the club umbrella during the season? Since the coach is responsible for allotting playing time during club games, does he have a significant enough financial incentive to play those players, whose parents are willing and able to pay him independently to provide private instruction, above equal or more deserving players that are not participating in the private workouts outside of club team practice?
DirtyCleatsDad

Posts 59
Registered 3/22/13
Usa
Cary

Soccer Role:
Cleats cleaner. Chauffeur

posted on 5/15/17 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
That's something I've witnessed and experienced. It happens at every big club and dare say almost all where the coaches are paid--unless there is a club rule concerning this.
At minimum, it is awkward. I'm believe there is a fine line. A line that some coaches can't help but to cross. It can be both appropriate, and ethical, but yet change to inappropriate and unethical.
I'll be honest, my son receives periodic private training from a coach that is not employed by the club he is carded for--perfectly fine and not against the rules. There has been absolutely no mention of switching clubs by the coach. I have told every club team coach he has played for. Only once, have I thought my son was negatively impacted(the coach offered private lessons after me telling him about the other coach). It was something I couldn't prove, but at the end of the day, it was and still is about the way my son prepares for and performs in training and games.

[Edited on 5/15/17 by DirtyCleatsDad]

Stryker

Posts 4
Registered 1/5/04
Nigeria

Soccer Role:
Coach.

posted on 5/16/17 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is a very slippery slope.

To maintain propriety, I don't do it. So much easier to refer them to another coach. As a mentor told me long ago, avoid charging people for a job they are already paying for. They might tend to think they deserve guarantees and/or not getting their original money's worth.

SoccerMomandWife

Posts 114
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/17/17 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think this is youth soccer and not a big issue in the greater scheme of things.

Stryker

Posts 4
Registered 1/5/04
Nigeria

Soccer Role:
Coach.

posted on 5/17/17 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerMomandWife

I think this is youth soccer and not a big issue in the greater scheme of things.

It doesn't have to be, but in a profession where my reputation is my biggest attribute, is something I wouldn't do.

I tell coaches I mentor to avoid the practice.

numbersguy
a.k.a.
Daddy Warbucks

Posts 22
Registered 4/27/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/17/17 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Scenario: Player A gets private sessions with coach. Player A parent mentions to Player B parent. Player B parent likes the idea and does the same private sessions with coach, which cuts back coach's availability for Player A. Player B makes the top team the next year, Player A does not. You can use your imagination on how the rest of the story goes, especially with soccer parents involved.
SoccerMomandWife

Posts 114
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/18/17 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Stryker

Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerMomandWife

It doesn't have to be, but in a profession where my reputation is my biggest attribute, is something I wouldn't do.

I tell coaches I mentor to avoid the practice.

I can agree with this, if you are a coach, best to avoid this situation. It is not worth the hassle/controversy that could result

But I would NOT call it unethical and think parents complaining about it need to take a chill pill.

holygrail313

Posts 18
Registered 1/10/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/18/17 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Coach should detail what said player needs to improve. Player then asks for trainer recommendations from coach. If none are suggested, player/parent do their own research, ask DOC, etc. and find someone capable within the club. If that person doesn't exist then the search expands outside the club.
IMIN

Posts 9
Registered 3/15/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/29/17 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
There's only a handful of coaches in the area that do this.

Bigger question is when a club force feeds affiliate training programs to players and they opt out and are left behind because they don't buy in.

Inferior players get preferential treatment because they do buy in and pay all of the extra for these said programs.

One major club in the area is famous for this. Seems most clubs are more concerned about club development rather than player development.

numbersguy
a.k.a.
Daddy Warbucks

Posts 22
Registered 4/27/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/29/17 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by IMIN

Bigger question is when a club force feeds affiliate training programs to players and they opt out and are left behind because they don't buy in.

Inferior players get preferential treatment because they do buy in and pay all of the extra for these said programs.

One major club in the area is famous for this. Seems most clubs are more concerned about club development rather than player development.

You left CASL years ago, how would you have any clue? Maybe your player is just not as good as you thought? Ever think of that?

eagles

Posts 106
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/29/17 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Along the same lines but different. Locally when my daughter was in the 12-14 yr bracket a local high school coach was THE primary classic 1 /Fusion coach at a club.

If you were eventually going to be in HIS program, you had a free ride to the upper classifications.

The coach in a different way violated all ethical boundaries as far as I was concerned. I along with several more formed our own team, used a competitors club status to form our team. Yes, we jumped through the club hoops to form it. Employed another high school coach that was completely off the grid as far as his team was concerned. We had players from 4 counties and 6 high schools. A real club team.

He entered a tourney, we were there. He did not like us before it was over..

[Edited on 5/29/17 by eagles]

jonkamin
a.k.a.
Jonathan Kamin

Posts 2
Registered 7/14/17
Usa

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/14/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
This is so the case. Amen

Quote:
Originally posted by IMIN

PUKSoccer

Not a valid Image type

Posts 9
Registered 4/3/17
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 7/17/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly this is the nature of the beast in any business. Ethical? Probably not. Speaking from personal experience I have tried to maintain fair play with players (though I coach mostly U11-12) and even the playing time. If my players want private tuition I am happpy to give it, but it in no way guarantees playing time/starting line up spots if there is someone else more deserving at the time.

If coaches use this as a way to manipulate parents into spending more money then that is on their conscience. There are plenty of other clubs/teams who would be welcoming of new players, help develop them and not try to blackmail parents into spending more money to guarantee a spot.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0577891 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy