NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  11/22/17 05:07 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Tryouts - [119 Replies | 17589 Views]
SoccerMomandWife

Posts 114
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/3/17 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Tryouts

I know NCFC Youth posted their tryout dates (http://www.ncfcyouth.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1626175 ) which are really late this year. What are other clubs doing? Have their dates been posted?
Hokie

Posts 124
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/3/17 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
The NCFC Youth dates seem to be the same time frame CASL has had their tryouts every year.
SoccerMomandWife

Posts 114
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

The NCFC Youth dates seem to be the same time frame CASL has had their tryouts every year.

I thought everyone did tryouts starting the Monday after state cup?

Too close to finals in my mind.

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 298
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 5/3/17 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
$60 registration fee if you haven't decided by May 15...

TwoHalves

Posts 277
Registered 8/29/13

Soccer Role:
The Wallet

posted on 5/3/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerMomandWife

Quote:
Originally posted by Hokie

I thought everyone did tryouts starting the Monday after state cup?

Too close to finals in my mind.

NCFC Academy tryouts have already taken place. Classic tryouts start right after state cup.

Das

Posts 66
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
The older girls have one more day. DA (Last month), ECNL (picked after first day), Elite & Premier (picked after 2nd day) have been picked by now. I think 02s might have a 4th day for Elite & Premiere. The vibe is that the top teams for the older girls were pretty much already picked before tryouts even started.
fleihrr

Posts 72
Registered 5/20/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Das

The older girls have one more day. DA (Last month), ECNL (picked after first day), Elite & Premier (picked after 2nd day) have been picked by now. I think 02s might have a 4th day for Elite & Premiere. The vibe is that the top teams for the older girls were pretty much already picked before tryouts even started.

That last bit is disappointing, although not too surprising. I had hoped that the invitation-only nature of the tryouts would mean that with fewer players there might actually be an open competition on some of the spots. Do you know how many players (numbers) were picked for the DA and ECNL teams to carry on the roster?

Substance-wise, how were they conducted? I had heard it would be all 7 on 7 scrimmaging, possibly expanding to full 11 on 11. Were there any tactical or technical drills done?

Das

Posts 66
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I only know a bit about the 01s. They had 48 in the ECNL tryout on day 1, and I think they played 11v11 the whole time. I'm pretty sure most of these girls were in the DA tryout as well, so I doubt there was much the coaches needed to see. The elite tryout had 44 on day 1, and had 4 games of 5v5/6v6 going on. The same was going on on the lower field (normal tryout) as well with around 45 girls. After day one ECNL was picked and I was told they took 21. Day 2 the 27 left overs from ECNL moved to elite, and they played 11v11. The lower field was still just hobknobbing it playing 8v8s with maybe one coach babysitting each group. That night, elite and premiere were picked and the remaining players (about 60) all combined for day 3 where they split into 4 teams and played 11v11. What will probably be gold and white played each other, and the other field had the scraps which will determine whether they have another 1 or 2 teams.
fleihrr

Posts 72
Registered 5/20/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Das

I only know a bit about the 01s. They had 48 in the ECNL tryout on day 1, and I think they played 11v11 the whole time. I'm pretty sure most of these girls were in the DA tryout as well, so I doubt there was much the coaches needed to see. The elite tryout had 44 on day 1, and had 4 games of 5v5/6v6 going on. The same was going on on the lower field (normal tryout) as well with around 45 girls. After day one ECNL was picked and I was told they took 21. Day 2 the 27 left overs from ECNL moved to elite, and they played 11v11. The lower field was still just hobknobbing it playing 8v8s with maybe one coach babysitting each group. That night, elite and premiere were picked and the remaining players (about 60) all combined for day 3 where they split into 4 teams and played 11v11. What will probably be gold and white played each other, and the other field had the scraps which will determine whether they have another 1 or 2 teams.

Thanks for all the intel!

numbersguy
a.k.a.
Daddy Warbucks

Posts 22
Registered 4/27/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
How many spots were allocated to TFCA kids in the merger prior to trials and tryouts? That probably had an impact on the vibe at trials. You can tell sometimes just by watching the coaches.
SoccerMomandWife

Posts 114
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Das

Have you heard anything about how people felt the merger in playing out in team formation? Getting it right? Frustration? Kids getting lost in crowd?

fleihrr

Posts 72
Registered 5/20/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
My assumption is that the current ECNL players will be taking most, if not all of the future GDA team spots, and then current CASL Red and TFCA Alliance will be taking the majority of the future ECNL team spots. After that, leftover Alliance, Select, and CASL Black will compete for the future Elite and Premier teams, with a few odd CASL White and TFCA regional team players getting a shot at filling out those two teams. Different age groups might have a bigger gap between CASL Red and Alliance, or Select and Black, but I would expect that's generally going to be the pecking order going into these things.
soccermonty69

Posts 96
Registered 5/8/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by numbersguy

How many spots were allocated to TFCA kids in the merger prior to trials and tryouts? That probably had an impact on the vibe at trials. You can tell sometimes just by watching the coaches.

No "allocation" though the overall feeling is that GDA and ECNL were picked weeks or months ago. Most TFC Alliance girls fell to Elite teams with a few sprinkled in here and there on GDA and ECNL to say it wasn't a complete CASL takeover.

In truth the teams are 'mostly' right; may have missed a girl or two here or there between one level or another but it would be hard to say that 90% of the girls aren't in the correct level.

Das

Posts 66
Registered 6/16/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
That's probably about right. I think most of Red, and TFCA are making up the new ECNL squad. I've heard of quite a few CASL black players that didn't make either elite team and were playing on the "gold/white" field Sunday night.
fleihrr

Posts 72
Registered 5/20/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Were there many players from clubs other than CASL and TFCA at the older girls' tryouts?
numbersguy
a.k.a.
Daddy Warbucks

Posts 22
Registered 4/27/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/4/17 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccermonty69

Quote:
Originally posted by numbersguy

No "allocation" though the overall feeling is that GDA and ECNL were picked weeks or months ago. Most TFC Alliance girls fell to Elite teams with a few sprinkled in here and there on GDA and ECNL to say it wasn't a complete CASL takeover.

In truth the teams are 'mostly' right; may have missed a girl or two here or there between one level or another but it would be hard to say that 90% of the girls aren't in the correct level.

90% is still pretty good

soccerlovernc

Posts 252
Registered 5/22/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/8/17 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
How are things going on the boy's side? Will they have 4 DA teams for the younger groups? CASL North, South and Del Sol had 1 spot each and then TFCA had one more?

Does not look like there will be many classic level boys team unless a large number of players are soaked up by DA and elite teams.

What I am hearing/seeing on the girl's side is that DA is almost all CASL with 2-3 TFCA. ECNL is majority CASL and the other two "elite" divisions are alliance and select girls with a few CASL players thrown in. Some surprises too.

Very few outside players. I think many from TFCA are moving out because they don't want to be part of the NCFC machine/hatred of CASL. I think Wake FC and TUSA will see their numbers jump this year.

RayRay

Posts 745
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/8/17 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerlovernc

How are things going on the boy's side? Will they have 4 DA teams for the younger groups? CASL North, South and Del Sol had 1 spot each and then TFCA had one more?

Does not look like there will be many classic level boys team unless a large number of players are soaked up by DA and elite teams.

What I am hearing/seeing on the girl's side is that DA is almost all CASL with 2-3 TFCA. ECNL is majority CASL and the other two "elite" divisions are alliance and select girls with a few CASL players thrown in. Some surprises too.

Very few outside players. I think many from TFCA are moving out because they don't want to be part of the NCFC machine/hatred of CASL. I think Wake FC and TUSA will see their numbers jump this year.

I agree that TUSA and Wake FC stand to gain on the girls side. There will be some very good players that will not make GDA or ECNL. Call it what you want but at NCFC Classic Elite you are on the club's 3rd team. There are going to be feelings hurt and the natural reaction is to move on. Wake FC will pick up the Wake County girls in this boat and TUSA Gold will pick up the Durham/Orange County girls.

fleihrr

Posts 72
Registered 5/20/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/8/17 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerlovernc

What kind of "surprises" happened? Can you elaborate?

evertontarheel

Posts 51
Registered 3/23/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/8/17 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
On boys side for NCFC, there will be Elite and Premier teams, which will be top 2 classic teams for the club.

There is still the DA team.

For 03 and I am guessing for other older age groups, will invite 50 or so players for Elite/Premier tryouts. Will have 2 days of tryouts and then form the Elite and Premier teams with 18 players each.

If player doesn't make Elite/Premier teams, they then tryout for regional NCFC teams.

Several of the older NCFC Elite/Premier teams are playing National League and Region 3 and then NCYSA Premier Division.

And there will be, similar to this year, some number of players from the DA that will roll off those teams onto Elite/Premier teams. Biggest impact, I think, is the 02 age group.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.1225400 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy