NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  4/29/17 08:20 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: American soccer's diversity problem article - [11 Replies | 1114 Views]
beautifulgame

Posts 23
Registered 5/20/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/17 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
American soccer's diversity problem article

very interesting read...and worth more discussion in our community for sure. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football
Beagle

Posts 60
Registered 2/12/13

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/17 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
read this back in June. Yes, very interesting read. I don't dispute the notion that pay to play is an issue that somehow needs to be addressed. I don't have a solution but US Soccer and Clubs need to find a way to reduce the costs for top level training/competition.

I know the comment was mostly referring to the women's Nats but the Mens team this past January had 32 players in camp. I count about half being either Latino or African-American.

MySonsPlay

Posts 508
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/17 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
As I read the article I kept coming back to the same question:

Why does soccer believe itself to be immuned to any of the societal, socio-economic and political issues that face our nation today? As soccer continues to grow, all the issues will become more pronounced, but no greater than the issue at large.

Not saying this is right or that I have any answers, but the issues are bigger than soccer.

Prompted by Beagles Men's National team comment, I went to the US Soccer website and reviewed the various starting XI and team celebrations of all the various youth national teams. Below is an example of what I found for the U18 Boys NT

I will let the picture be the judge. And I encourage others to look at all age groups.

https://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/5682eca20b534438800014b5/www.ussoccer.com/v~13.1d/~/media/images/u18-mnt/2016/2016-vacalv-jezek/160820-u1 8mnt-v-cze-players-champs.jpg?h=477&w=800&la=en&hash=874EE74F2F3ECA2C8BC1CBE746565FC296DCD0B5&yocs=6_b_&yoloc=us

The Cynic

Posts 345
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/17 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
The USA is roughly 2/3 white and 1/3 other.

Minorities are hardly under-represented on the various national teams(The exalted and beloved Women's team being the exception).

It's not the job of "Soccer" to resolve racial issues and income inequality.

messi

Posts 157
Registered 11/19/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/15/17 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
4 kids on the US BNT U18 are from Club Tijuana (mexico)
https://www.ussoccer.com/us-under18-mens-national-team/latest-roster#tab-1

most of the "free" pickup soccer I've seen in the triangle are hispanics. I think the point about the composition of NBA is that kids for almost no money start playing at very young ages and ubiquitously; and even in AAU the costs are much much lower than equivalent soccer.

There are tons of "americans" competent and cheap to coach basketball. For some reason US soccer needs coaches with british accents, tour busses and hotels.

Also, the "culture" thing the Klinsmann may have been referring to involves lots of adults who can decently coach basketball in this country, but not that many (even paid at the soccer club level from what I've seen) seem to be that good.

beautifulgame

Posts 23
Registered 5/20/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/16/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Modern-day philosopher Chris Rock said something in yesterday's New York Times that I thought was relevant to this discussion - “Whole Foods does not say ‘No Blacks Allowed.' But a $7 orange does. That’s the new Jim Crow.”
The Cynic

Posts 345
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/16/17 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by beautifulgame

Modern-day philosopher Chris Rock said something in yesterday's New York Times that I thought was relevant to this discussion - “Whole Foods does not say ‘No Blacks Allowed.' But a $7 orange does. That’s the new Jim Crow.”

The vast majority of white people cannot afford to shop at Whole Foods, so your "point" has no relevance.

Since minorities are over-represented (as a percentage of the population)on the various national teams, then how can anyone claim that there is a "diversity problem"??

Do the NBA and NFL have diversity problems or does this term only apply when someone wants to push a political agenda?

I consider sports an escape from the awful world of politics.

Sons a keeper

Posts 163
Registered 9/7/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/16/17 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by The Cynic

Quote:

The vast majority of white people cannot afford to shop at Whole Foods, so your "point" has no relevance.

Since minorities are over-represented (as a percentage of the population)on the various national teams, then how can anyone claim that there is a "diversity problem"??

Do the NBA and NFL have diversity problems or does this term only apply when someone wants to push a political agenda?

Hear! Hear! If someone wants to focus primarily on diversity, then let's just mirror the national demographics and make sure each team is represented by the appropriate amount of white, black, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian and other ethnicity which qualifies to be on the census. Otherwise, let the best play and the rest watch. Diversity cannot be a one-way street.

TerryRansbury
a.k.a.
Terry Ransbury

Posts 23
Registered 4/19/16
Chapel Hill, NC

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/16/17 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have to side with Cynic and Sons a Keeper here. Can't post the images but take a look at the 2017 national teams of Chile, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Italy, Uruguay... Their monochromatic look should be condemned by the author yet he would have trouble explaining why their non-diverse-looking teams usually have no trouble beating our relatively-overly-diverse-looking national team.
View User's Profile Email TerryRansbury View All Posts By User U2U TerryRansbury
futbolfutbol

Posts 97
Registered 5/1/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/17/17 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by The Cynic

Quote:

Amen. I bet the author is a club coach collecting full market price fees from parents while simultaneously complaining about cost to support his politics. It is clear the agenda has nothing to do with actual diversity.

RayRay

Posts 610
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 2/17/17 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
AF needs to go watch some episodes of Fred Sanford especially the time he tried to defend Lamont in court.
Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Not a valid Image type

Posts 267
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 3/3/17 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the u20 team which just qualified for te next World Cup. What's the problem?

Attachment: IMG_1916.PNG (659.12kb)
This file has been downloaded 0 times

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0547810 seconds, 18 queries

Our Privacy Policy