NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  11/22/17 05:14 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Soccer $$$ Insanity - [218 Replies | 10118 Views]
Anony

Posts 154
Registered 2/12/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/30/15 at 03:35 PM
Soccer $$$ Insanity

http://time.com/money/4037391/soccer-bills-college-family-budget/?xid=homepage

"Even with a healthy $146,000 in combined annual income—most from Steve’s $126,000 Intel salary—the family barely makes ends meet. With all their expenses, they have managed to tuck away only $9,500 for emergencies. Perhaps more ominous for their long-term financial health: They have saved just $7,000 for college. That would be a major concern for many families; for the Joneses, who have four boys to educate, that is a ticking time bomb that’s set to explode in 2022, when three of the kids are in college at the same time. “We do panic about that,” says Siobhan.

The Joneses’ situation may sound extreme, but the challenge of balancing the cost of athletics and academics is far from unusual. Some 21 million kids play under-17 competitive sports in the U.S., according to ESPN.com. All told, families spend about $5 billion a year on sports organizations, an analysis by the Columbus Dispatch shows, and another $7 billion on related travel, says a National Association of Sports Commissions study. Soccer in particular has boomed in popularity. The U.S. Youth Soccer Association is now the largest youth-sports organization in the country. "

The Cynic

Posts 357
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/30/15 at 03:51 PM
I am supposed to feel sorry/empathy for a family that makes $146,000/year and is incapable of handling basic finances?

Most Americans are financially illiterate and this illustrates the fact.

soccerpoor

Posts 207
Registered 5/15/04

Soccer Role:

posted on 9/30/15 at 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anony

http://time.com/money/4037391/soccer-bills-college-family-budget/?xid=homepage

"Even with a healthy $146,000 in combined annual income—most from Steve’s $126,000 Intel salary—the family barely makes ends meet. With all their expenses, they have managed to tuck away only $9,500 for emergencies. Perhaps more ominous for their long-term financial health: They have saved just $7,000 for college. That would be a major concern for many families; for the Joneses, who have four boys to educate, that is a ticking time bomb that’s set to explode in 2022, when three of the kids are in college at the same time. “We do panic about that,” says Siobhan.

The Joneses’ situation may sound extreme, but the challenge of balancing the cost of athletics and academics is far from unusual. Some 21 million kids play under-17 competitive sports in the U.S., according to ESPN.com. All told, families spend about $5 billion a year on sports organizations, an analysis by the Columbus Dispatch shows, and another $7 billion on related travel, says a National Association of Sports Commissions study. Soccer in particular has boomed in popularity. The U.S. Youth Soccer Association is now the largest youth-sports organization in the country. "

They have this figured out. The quickest way to separate disposable income from your family's wallet is through your child's extra curricular activities.

ClassicDad1

Posts 175
Registered 2/11/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Cynic

I am supposed to feel sorry/empathy for a family that makes $146,000/year and is incapable of handling basic finances?

It's a CNN article, is likely leaving out a lot of facts to support its narrative. For example, could they not afford birth control or plan ahead? "With all their expense" they could make different choices. People make choices and its soccer's fault. At least they didn't blame Bush.

psycholejeunefan

Posts 122
Registered 6/24/08

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 08:08 AM
Quote:

Most Americans are financially illiterate? What does that mean? Where are you from? What is it with you and America? If you don't like it here leave.
What is it with you and your inability to understand? The post did not say you should feel sorry for them.

Again, do us all a favor and get lost.

MySonsPlay

Posts 542
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ClassicDad1

Quote:

It's a CNN article, is likely leaving out a lot of facts to support its narrative. For example, could they not afford birth control or plan ahead? "With all their expense" they could make different choices. People make choices and its soccer's fault. At least they didn't blame Bush.

Agree, CNN articles always leave something out or tuck information in side paragraphs that obscure the whole story.

This family in end will be fine, as long as the father stays employed.

Yes, we all make choices, 10 years ago when my oldest started to play club soccer, our family looked at the cost and made a choice. We gave up season tickets to both basketball and football to NC State, we knew we would not have the time or money to do both. A simple choice.

Anony posted this article to illustrate the cost of soccer. I understand his point, but this family could easily cut their soccer related expenses in half. Their children are still young, IMHO they have been sold a bill of goods by their club having their youngest children travel and playing on what are classic level teams.

Soccer does not have to be as expensive as this article portrays.

By the way, this family is English. I do not think ignorance in basic family finances is solely an American weakness.

[Edited on 10/1/15 by MySonsPlay]

Buzz
a.k.a.
buzz lightyear

Posts 197
Registered 5/3/11

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MySonsPlay

Quote:

Quote:

Agree, CNN articles always leave something out or tuck information in side paragraphs that obscure the whole story.

Yes, we all make choices, 10 years ago when my oldest started to play club soccer, our family looked at the cost and made a choice. We gave up season tickets to both basketball and football to NC State, we knew we would not have the time or money to do both. A simple choice.

Anony posted this article to illustrate the cost of soccer. I understand his point, but this family could easily cut their soccer related expenses in half. Their children are still young, IMHO they have been sold a bill of goods by their club having their youngest children travel and playing on what are classic level teams.

By the way, this family is English. I do not think ignorance in basic family finances is solely an American weakness.

Why should the family have to choose? I mean I get it. The system is working, but the money is not a necessary part of it. Put the resources into the public system, for free, and would the result not be the same?

x-man

Posts 198
Registered 2/21/12

Soccer Role:
Coach, parent, manager

posted on 10/1/15 at 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Buzz

Quote:

Why should the family have to choose? I mean I get it. The system is working, but the money is not a necessary part of it. Put the resources into the public system, for free, and would the result not be the same?

MySonsPlay - I agree, they have been sold a bill of goods. Kids that young don't need to be playing travel / classic soccer. The clubs won't tell you that, but it's true.

Buzz - what "public system" are you talking about? Playing for free? Who's gonna pay for the coaches and the fields?

MySonsPlay

Posts 542
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 08:41 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Buzz, I have read the majority of your post from other threads and obviously you are not a fan of pay to play. And I respect your opinion and experience, but I must ask what "resources" are you referring to in your statement above.

4Krans

Posts 110
Registered 11/3/14
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by psycholejeunefan

Quote:

Most Americans are financially illiterate? What does that mean? Where are you from? What is it with you and America? If you don't like it here leave.
What is it with you and your inability to understand? The post did not say you should feel sorry for them.

Dont get lost, stick around, it ticks off psycholejeunefan and thats funny.

I think the key word here is MOST

If you make $146,000 a year and cant make it work you are doing it wrong.

Too many credit cards? too big of a house? If they are having problems making ends meet, I would suggest maybe NOT going to the amusement park.

I call BS on $8,000 on groceries, and maybe too much eating out.

I dont feel sorry for them at all.

The Cynic

Posts 357
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 4Krans

Quote:

Quote:

Too many credit cards? too big of a house? If they are having problems making ends meet, I would suggest maybe NOT going to the amusement park.

A net worth of $678+146K in yearly income and they have $7K put away for college(for 4 children)...

They spend 150% more on soccer every year than they have in college savings...

They spend more on "entertainment" every year than they have in college savings..

There is no such thing as "free soccer" or a "free lunch"...funny how some people consider other people's money to be "free"...

Buzz
a.k.a.
buzz lightyear

Posts 197
Registered 5/3/11

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 4Krans

Quote:

Quote:

4Krans,
That is fine, but I have a request. Please don't quote, him. Then I have to read it too.

Buzz
a.k.a.
buzz lightyear

Posts 197
Registered 5/3/11

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 11:11 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Buzz, I have read the majority of your post from other threads and obviously you are not a fan of pay to play. And I respect your opinion and experience, but I must ask what "resources" are you referring to in your statement above.

If all the money, and talent that goes into pay to play; instead went into the FREE HS system. Would that not be better for everyone.

To include the economically disadvantaged?

Buzz
a.k.a.
buzz lightyear

Posts 197
Registered 5/3/11

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by x-man

Quote:

Quote:

MySonsPlay - I agree, they have been sold a bill of goods. Kids that young don't need to be playing travel / classic soccer. The clubs won't tell you that, but it's true.

Buzz - what "public system" are you talking about? Playing for free? Who's gonna pay for the coaches and the fields?

The High School system.

The Cynic

Posts 357
Registered 3/27/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 11:56 AM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by x-man

Quote:

Quote:

The High School system.

High Schools are free??

Amazing...money grows on trees..LOOK,there's a UNICORN!!!!

Liverpoolfan9

Posts 130
Registered 5/12/14

Soccer Role:
Kid's bankroll

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:44 PM
This article should have picked someone with more of a dire need . Nice granite counter top in the pictures and their mini looks a lot nicer than the underprivileged that I know which have cars missing a hub cap or two. What about people with the broken down car etc that have very talented kids that really can't afford the pay to play system.

Pay to play is expensive, but if the article wanted to drive the point home, they should have picked a true low income family.

[Edited on 10/1/15 by Liverpoolfan9]

Anony

Posts 154
Registered 2/12/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:44 PM
Quote:

, but I must ask what "resources" are you referring to in your statement above.

almost all the fields my kid has played on - at least >99% -
were public fields paid for by towns/cities or counties.. So the fields are massively taxpayer subsidized.
really only the coaches salaries are where most of the money goes (and anything left
for the nonprofits that run them)

Anony

Posts 154
Registered 2/12/15

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liverpoolfan9

This article should have picked someone with more of a dire need . Nice granite counter top in the pictures and their mini looks a lot nicer than the underprivileged that I know which have cars missing a hub cap or two. What about people with the broken down car etc that have very talented kids that really can't afford the pay to play system.

Pay to play is expensive, but if the article wanted to drive the point home, pick someone with a true lower incomes

your missing the larger point, almost everyone playing club soccer (especially at high school ages) are relatively wealthy households. This 146K of income I'll bet you is mean for kids >U14 playing club soccer.

MySonsPlay

Posts 542
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anony

Quote:

, but I must ask what "resources" are you referring to in your statement above.

almost all the fields my kid has played on - at least >99% -
were public fields paid for by towns/cities or counties.. So the fields are massively taxpayer subsidized.
really only the coaches salaries are where most of the money goes (and anything left
for the nonprofits that run them)

So you disregard the rental fees the clubs are paying to use these fields? Those fees go a long way in maintenance and upgrades.

MySonsPlay

Posts 542
Registered 11/11/11
North Carolina
Durham

Soccer Role:

posted on 10/1/15 at 01:07 PM
Quote:
Quote:

If all the money, and talent that goes into pay to play; instead went into the FREE HS system. Would that not be better for everyone.

To include the economically disadvantaged?

So you are saying the cost is no different, they just need to be allocated differently. I bit too much of political statement for me.

I am a fan high school soccer, but I do not believe the high school environment alone will produce the level of player that players want to become.

Every high school sport, but American football, is supplemented by some level of pay to play.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.1224201 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy